That’s One Hot Dog!

That’s One Hot Dog!

I’ve had this quilt finished up for weeks and have been so busy with other things that I haven’t completely shared him with you. I’m excited to finally introduce a new picnic quilt, That’s One Hot Dog!

ThatsOneHotDog

I had seen tons of these quilts floating around in baby size based off of Boo Davis’ pattern in her book Dare to Be Square. Long time Horde readers may remember when I featured The Dresdens Quilter’s version of it:

HotDog_DresdenQuilter

Not subscribed to The Horde? Go ahead – subscribe with this link, I’d love to have you!

HotDogCloseUps

As you can see, I switched my quilt around to make a big giant ‘S’ for Susan. Yep, I’m just that eccentric. I also added a 3D floppy ear and tail. I have lots to tell you about my journey with this quilt and will have a series of posts all about the That’s One Hot Dog! As they are added, I will update this index page with links directly to the posts.

The Great Design Wall

With this quilt, I learned just how valuable a design wall is. I went through a few iterations of the wall and landed on a pretty sweet set up that has absolutely changed the way I manage quilts. Take a look at one way to make your own too in this post!

Customizing the Pattern

This post is all about the the pattern customization. I let my supplies on hand drive this quilt. I wanted to use every square inch I could get by. No new scraps here!

The Quilting

I love the quilting on this quilt! I made a huge misstep when I started and learned an important lesson about planning.

On Quilt Judging

This quilt was entered in the Capital Quilters Vintage View quilt show. See his scorecard and my own thoughts on his technical successes.

I do love this quilt. He’s fun, irreverent, made to be used, and unique. I don’t know about you, but he makes me want to grab a bucket of chicken and head out to the local park!
Thoughts? Questions? You know I love them, what say you?

1. What a happy hot dog! I love the fabrics you used.

• I totally cheated! It’s a Kaffe collection that came in a bundle. I saw the bundle and thought – that should be a dog! I had nix a few of the fabrics, but for the most part they were picked for me. :)

2. Fun! Your quilting is looking really good! S for Susan – he he.

• My quilting is getting better! There’s only a few places on the dog that are really stretched or flat out wonky. I need to start focusing on more thoughtful. Next quilt! Good things there’s always another in the queue right? :)

3. That is one fun quilt!! Very you! The floppy ear and the tail are so cute :)

• heh, he is me isn’t he? kitsch all the way! :) Thank you muches!

4. I love this quilt. It has an “S” for the dog and who loves a hot dog better than my Suedre…..no body. I will be waiting for a pink flamingo quilt.

• I tell you – after the ones I’m working on now, I think I’m going to work on SMALL projects for a while. I love these, but they are hard work!! :)

5. I love this hot dog! One of my favourite quilts ever :)

• What??! That’s so sweet of you to say! Thank you muches. I like him too. I really should give him an actual name… :)

6. He’s awesome Susan. Love the flappy ear! I can’t wait to read more about it.

• Thanks Izzy! It was a fun quilt to make. I learned a few things along the way for sure. I hope the posts will be interesting. You’ll tell me if they aren’t right?

7. haha a big S, that’s a great detail. I love the bright colors you used!

• Thanks Renee! Glad to see you. I suppose you’re off working on something amazing? :)

8. LOL That dog is adorable. I love it and am sure my great grandson will too! I like the 3D tail and ears too. Looks like a great way to use up some scraps too!

• It really would be an excellent scrap buster! Could be fun to do the background in low volume scraps instead of solid. Ideas… they never stop! :)

9. He is adorable! The flappy ear and tail are such a great idea.

• Thanks MC! I liked them too. Wasn’t sure if they would work out or not, so it was an interesting risk.

10. What great quilt, love the colors! Nice idea with the 3D ears. I also made one for my friend and it was really fun working on it.

• Did you? Did I see it?

I like Boo’s plan of working in squares, but not pixels. I may have to try something like this again in the future.

• They are silly and fun aren’t they? I so dig goofy and eccentric. Fun fun stuff!

11. Well hello there hot dog!! I really like the way your dog is fun summery colours and think it’s great you made it an S for Susan.

• I’m so silly right?? The ‘S’ shape isn’t a solid of a composition for the whole quilt, but I was willing to trade composition for the ‘S’. He’s mine so he only has to make me happy, right? :)

12. Awesome quilt!Perfect for a picnic. And making the tail and ears so they are 3D is a great idea. You are just so darn creative!

• I love the 3D ear, but I think I may tack it down on the bottom side rather than it flying all over the place. Its lots of fun when it is hanging, but I swear, that ear gets caught up in everything when I try to fold it up. hahahah!

• heh! Me too! In my mind, he’s a playful doggie for sure. :)

13. I love it! I had a mini dachshund for a long time. Little Maggie passed a couple years ago but I’d have another in a heartbeat!

• I’ve always thought they would be the best dogs! I wish I could say why I’ve always leaned towards big dogs, I suspect me and a little dachshund would get along just fine. :)