We’ve recently upgraded our half bath which I’m really looking forward to showing off when all the final touches are in place. One of the more immediate problems was we have a glass soap holder sitting on a stone top. The glass slides around all over the place and is begging to take a tumble to the floor. I thought about just putting a non-slide drawer liner under it, but then decided there was a much better way to do it and decorative too!
Here’s how I did it….
I started by dragging out all my quarters and left overs that were anywhere close to the palette I was looking for. I then just removed ones I didn’t like or didn’t really “go” with the bathroom. I also pulled out most of the batiks.
I knew I wanted my “soap plate” to be about 5″ square finished so I cut 2in x 5.5in strips out of various fabrics.I laid them out into two sets of 11 strips in ways I thought appealing being very careful not to put two strips of roughly the same value next to each other and stacked them in order.
Then I folded them in half right sides out and put a quarter inch seam along the raw edges. I used my super value black thread here because it will never be seen. I also chained stitched them together to not lose the order I had already placed them in.
I wanted to hide the seam on the “back side of each of the strips. It would have been nice to iron the seams open, but at this size with my big old clothes iron was just asking for major finger burns. I ended up pushing the seam to one side and ironing flat.
Once they were ironed flat, I pinned half of them to a piece of 5.5×5.5 muslin.
I sewed a quarter inch straight stitch down the right side attaching the strips to the muslin.
Now the fun part! Weaving in the opposite strips. I put the first two strips in just like the old looms that I made a million pot holders with as a kid. Once I had two strips in place, I put a zig zag stitch down the center permanently placing them. The stitch does stay and is visible. I went with a neural color in the sulky line that was shiny to give it a little pop even if it is neural.
I kept adding strips and zig zagging them in until I reached the opposite end of the 5.5 muslin.
I could have gone back here and put the zig zag stitches in the other direction as well, but really felt like it was overkill for the size of the project. I squared it up with a piece of non-slip drawer liner on the back.
I sewed on the binding as you would a quilt. The only trick is – I had to put another piece of muslin on the back to allow it to move in the sewing machine. Non- slip also means non slide on the machine! After the sewing is all finished, I removed the muslin revealing the drawer liner as the back of the pad.
Finally, I pulled the binding back and hand tacked it on the muslin between the strips and drawer liner. Pad complete – took about two and half hours.