Project Vault: Zebra Cat Pillow Thing

Project Vault: Zebra Cat Pillow Thing

When my daughter was a wee-little thing I bought a Simplicity pattern that I was determined I was going to make  As we all know, sometimes these things get away from us. About two years ago, I came across the pattern in a craft bin. Since I had just started sewing again, I was decided I was going to make it, dang it! By then, my kid was certainly old enough to pick the one she liked so I I let her choose the fabric and the animal and here is the result.

emwithcat

What can I say? My kid loves zebra printed cats named Stripes! This thing was a t-total pain in the butt! I swear, I cried and I bled and I may have stamped my feet or tossed scissors on the table with purpose. The body comes together fine. The head comes together fine. Putting the head on the body – O.M.G. In the end though, I would probably make it again. A lot of the issues were a direct result of my inexperience, the slippery fabric, and my brain’s total inability to turn the fabric in the right direction. In this next picture you can see the details like the hand sewn nose, folds in the ears, turned lips, and toes.

cat

He took about four hours to cut and sew and if I did it again, I think I could do it in three. If you’d like to try it yourself, it is Simplicity Pattern 5310. If you’re curious – I intended to make the lion. 🙂

Simplicity5310

• ooohhhh!!! If you do, please stop by and show me, I’d love to see your version!

1. That cat is soooo adorable! Reminds me of the stuffed elephants I made when my kids were little. My daughter, at 10, dressed up as her purple elephant for Halloween! Now I think I may have to try something like yours for my youngest granddaughter!

• Awww! that’s so cute! You’ll have to show us some time. I’m sure I’d love it. 🙂

2. So cute and how useful…something like that would be great on a long car ride or on an airplane 🙂

• You’re right! We should totally go on vacation to get some use out of the pillow. 🙂

3. Awesome work Susan! I tried my hand a making a stuffie once…
    and only once!

4. kool Zcat! 😉 ~ the things we do for our kids! Makes me think of my daughter’s prom dress ~ worked on it at night…navy, silky material, long and lined…oh ya, the memories 😉

• Oh wow! That’s really cool! What a great mom!

5. I’m so glad you found go that project done while she’s still young, it looks like she loves it! it’s adorable, good job Mum!

• Good point! If I had waited much longer she would have outgrown it. I would have to make it for myself then. 🙂

6. Hahaha! The things our kids put us through – let’s just hope that one day *their* kids will give them a taste of their own medicine, hehe!!!! Great job, and Stripes is bound to be loved for years 🙂 x

• It’s my fault! I told her I had the pattern. If I had known, I might have just put it back in the box and run away.

7. it’s really cute, but I would get frustrated if it didn’t come together like I expected too. I’ll bet your daughter just loves it!

Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday Susan!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

• heh! It is frustrating! We survived though. 🙂

8. So adorable. I’m glad you had to make this and not me, though! 😉

• hahahaha, It was a bit different for sure. 🙂

9. anything we do that is new to us is a challenge! I’m sorry you were frustrated but I’m ecstatic that you didn’t give up! the smile on your daughters face just melted my heart! I think you did a wonderful job! can’t wait to see the lion! kathleen

• Thank you!! She melts my heart too. You should see the puppy dog bleary eyes – They have changed a no to a yes many times!

10. Stripes is super cute! You are better than I am because I have never had the patience for that kind of project. Great job! 🙂

• I’m not in a hurry to do it again! BUT… if the right little girl (or boy) came along and just couldnt live without one, I might drag that pattern back out.

11. Too cute! The monkey would have been my animal of choice. But your daughter sure looks like she is happy with her adorable cat.

You have more patience than I….

• I think it was more determination and sheer force of will! Thank you! 🙂

12. I often times compare sewing projects to video games. You get so frustrated, you cuss, you throw the controller and you come back for more until you beat the level, and then you keep playing until you beat the game because you’re not satisfied until you kill that final boss!!!! I feel like often times the finished product is my final boss. 🙂 I like Stripes, he’s a cool cat!

• Except when it is a bullheaded boss, I could always call my brother in to beat it “real quick”. Pretty sure he isnt going to finish my sewing projects for me! 😀