Poor Lil Punky Pin Cushion and a Sewing Funny.

Poor Lil Punky Pin Cushion and a Sewing Funny.

My quilting bee is doing a pin cushion swap. It was supposed to be Tuesday night, but the snow got in the way! Since I just can’t stand not showing it off another minute – here’s mine:

PumpkinPinCushion (1)Yes, I know, very out of season. I pulled this pattern out of Simple Quilts & Sewing #126. I’ve had it on my list forever and thought there’s no time like the present! This guy was really fun to make. It came together quickly and only required a trip through my scrap bin to come up with the fabric to make him. (Did you hear that Cynthia? MY SCRAP BIN!) The designer is Julie Letvin who makes quilt jewelery. It is amazing how SMALL she works. There are lots of good samples on her website. whoa right?

Does it make me weird that at this point it really felt like I was looking in a mirror? I suppose that hair like swoop and big old grin is what made it catch my attention. I’m so glad it pumpkin’d out when the sides went on. Otherwise, it would have never seen the light of day!

PumpkinPinCushion (2)Julie sells the pattern and a kit on her site. If I’m being really real with you all, I think the price +shipping is too high for the pattern only. If I were going to pick it up, I’d probably look for the back issue of the magazine from the publisher, ebay, or amazon. That way, you get the other projects too and there are a lot of good ones. I pulled out four to try one day.

Now for something completely different:
My daughter and I took off last weekend to a small sewing retreat. Here’s the back of the car:

SewDayCarPackedHere’s the bag with all of our clothes, shoes, toiletries, and two bath towels:

SewDayClothesbwa-hahahahahaha! I’m so amused.

What’s happening in your sewing room this week?

1. Your pin cushion is wonderful! I’d definitely show it off right away if I’d made it. Have a great time at the retreat 🙂

• Thanks Janine! I’ve got another secret project that has to stay secret a bit. It is making me C-R-A-Z-Y. I swear, I’m not keeping secrets anymore!

2. heeee!! I love the packing comparison. 😀 CUTE pumpkin cushion.

• Funny right! I was so struck at the difference. If it weren’t for the bath towels we could have fit in a small backpack!

3. Where’s the beer????

• I knew there would come a day that I would completely and fully disappoint you!

4. Aww, he is so cute and tee-nee! Your car is funny…snacks..very important and supplies:) Doing some basting and actual quilting this weekend!

• Yes. We must not leave the house without the Cherry Coke Zero. Things go very wrong when there’s no caffeine around!

5. Sewing involves a lot of “stuff”. I’m adding more and more “stuff” all the time! I love that pumpkin pin cushion – super cute. Even better that he was made with all scraps. Awesome finish 🙂

• We *may* have overpacked for sewing. I, as usual, made something much harder than it had to be and one top took the whole weekend. If I had gone the easy route – would have been less than a few hours and I could have made my way to some other things on the list!

6. For a minute there I thought I had entered a time warp and had gotten one of your older posts, but checked the date and it was all good. I love Mr. Pumpkin, and that is a fabulous grin. I wouldn’t typify you and he as twins, though!

The car packing/person packing is hilarious. Great couple of photos–
    Elizabeth

• heh, I know, I’m such a weirdo! I considered not making him because he is so out of season, but it seems like I have tons of these patterns I want to do “someday” and someday never comes. I figured my bee mates are pretty used to my weird, they probably wont think much of it! 🙂

7. Glad to see had room for all the important stuff in your trunk!! lol clothing??? just the necessities…a true artist 😉 Loving Mr. Pumpkin ~

• ha! I agree! Turns out yoga pants and a few t-shirts don’t need a ton of space. 🙂

• Thanks Jacqui! How have you been?

8. Ohh I thought the year had flown by and it was Halloween. That is the coolest pumpkin, and a great design for a pin cushion! Isn’t it great when you get all you need from your scraps, it’s like making something from nothing. Have fun on your girls only sewing weekend.

• It’s always Halloween at my pad! ha!

I honestly thought I didn’t have too many scraps. The container I put them was full the other day and when I pulled it out, I realized that I have a ton! I swear, they multiplied in there when I wasn’t looking. Been starting to think of what I can do with them. Sadly, little punky didn’t even make a dent, but it is a start!

9. Love this pin cushion! Too cute!

• Thanks! I like him too! He’s been sitting on my sewing table for a few weeks. He’s staring to feel like mine. Think I’ll be able to let him go? hmmmm….

10. Oh I love the pin cushion! So, so cool!

• Thanks! I dig him too! I filled him with rice and he has a nice heft to him. I find myself wanting to throw it like a bean bag! 🙂

• awww thanks! We had a ball. As usual, I didn’t get as much done as I wanted to, but I always underestimate how long things will take!

11. That pumpkin turned out pretty awesome! I’d totally use it all year. I can’t wait to go on a sewing retreat! Looks like you guys were ready for a pretty awesome weekend.

• You know… He’s growing on me. I might have to make another one or maybe just not swap, lol!

We just went to the beach with a sewing friend. We stayed in (it was freezing) and sewed late into the night Friday and Saturday. Honestly, I love it. I’ve got a bigger retreat coming up in March and can’t wait!

12. I heard that Susan! Scraps are good to have around just for this reason! I love that little guy! So very cute!

• hahaha! I may have been *very* proud of myself for actually using the scraps I’ve started to hold on it. I guess I’ve proved to myself they are a good thing to have around. 🙂