Nevermore Film Festival and Fan Art

Nevermore Film Festival and Fan Art

It’s time! It’s time! OMG ya’ll, my favorite time of year is here! I pretty much start looking forward to the next Nevermore Film Festival as soon as the last one finishes up! Wanna know how much I love it? Check out this fiber fan art!

NevermoreWallHangingVitals: Size: 57″ x 38″, standard/reverse applique, trapunto, custom Free Motion quilting

Why would I do such a thing?

The host venue for the Nevermore Film Festival, Carolina Theater of Durham, has undergone some major branding changes this year. I love their new look. It’s very now and professional – change is good. It doesn’t mean I wasn’t sad to see the Nevermore Raven disappear. For me, it is kind of looking at a McDonalds without golden arches. It just so happens that I’m pretty good at translating images to fiber and thought, is there a better way to immortalize history than art? It’s a fun logo, it’s bold, it has lots of contrast, and screams fiber to me.

Take a look at the original next to my fiber version:

nevermorecomparePretty darn spot on huh? I did make a few concessions for the fiber media. I removed the words “Film Fest”. I could have put them in with a zig zag stitch, but really didn’t feel like it added anything to piece. I also made the raven and film strip much larger and edited out a few of his toes.

Check out these details!

You really need to see this piece in real life to “get it”. There’s a ton of details in the quilting and applique. Because of the colors, or lack there of, it is really difficult to capture those details and the texture with images. I did the best I could though – take a look!

Here’s a close up of the quilting in the moon. I tried to model McTavishing and realized I wanted it even denser. I added pebbling in and around the curves shapes to really pop them.

NevermoreCloseup2I knew adding the perfs (is that the right word for the holes on the left and right of the film?) would be a bad plan for fiber. They are in there, in the quilting. I also used a few trapunto tricks to make the beak pop away from the film. You’ll also see a bit of the echo shell quilting in the bird.

NevermoreCloseup1I couldn’t for the life of me get a good photo of the quilting in the black areas of the quilt. There’s a small grave yard hiding in there! I used a “film shape” to differentiate the headstones from the sky. Here’s the drawing I worked from:

Nevermore2All of the letters are turned edge applique and have an extra layer of batting to really make them pop. There is no quilting in the letters as a strong contrast to the super dense quilting everywhere else. Another cool trick? That huge moon- reverse applique. Yep, totally do-able. I’ll tell you how in a few weeks.

Check out the back – is there any fabric more perfect than the yard of Michael Miller’s Nevermore I had hiding in my stash? Again – I mimicked the “film” shapes using sashing.

Nevermoreback

What’s so awesome about this event anyway?

I love independent horror/suspense. They are, beyond a shadow of a doubt, my favorite films. The lower the budget the better. I don’t always mean campy either. When filmmakers don’t have a ton of money or aren’t driven by first weekend box office numbers, they produce some amazing character/story driven art. They are forced to find ways to make things happen with very little resources – that my friends is when real ingenuity happens. If you take the time to slow down and really look, you’ll find something fantastic every.single.time.

As much as I love these films, I just don’t have enough time in real life to seek them out and sort through the ones that aren’t so great. The Nevermore steering committee does it for me and I squeeze in as many as I can over Friday, Saturday, Sunday. There’s been a few that I didn’t love, but none I didn’t like. With the films so in my wheelhouse, the fact that it always falls on my birthday is just serendipity!

Another fact, The Carolina Theater team does a bang up job. The films always start on time, they keep everything nice and clean, and are pretty darn friendly folks.

Update!! The Carolina Theater is awesome! They like my hanging and have accepted it as a donation! Here it is from this year’s festival and will hang as long as they will have it. πŸ™‚

SuedreNevermore

We’re headed to the Carolina theater tomorrow afternoon to pick up the GI-normous pile of tickets! Here’s out film watching plan:

Last Year's Pile of Tickets!

Last Year’s Pile of Tickets!

Friday

Open Grave, The Visitant, Big Bad Wolves, The Human Race

Most excited to see? The Visitant. I love haunted house films!
Not so sure? Open Grave, The Human Race. I worry about things that might toe the torture line.

Read the recap here!

Β Saturday

They’re Coming to Get You Barbra!, Grand Piano, Revolution of the Foreign Invaders, Here comes the Devil

Most excited to see? They’re Coming to Get You Barbra!Β  and Revoluation of the Foreign Invaders. I LOVE the shorts. My favorite.
Not so Sure: Grand Piano. I just can’t image where this one is going to go!

Read the recap here!

Sunday

Four Headless Horsemen, The Shower, Across the Styx, The Last Days on Mars

Most Excited to see? The Last Days on Mars. Survival and space – love it!
Not so Sure? The Shower. Horror/comedy is a dangerous thing. It either really works or doesnt.

Read the recap here!

I might be doing the happy dance. Don’t tell, It’s embarrassing. I have no rhythm. πŸ™‚

Linking with Leah and Amanda!

1. I love yours version so much better than the original. The edges are so crisp, it hardly looks like fabric. The quilting and the back are perfect too!! Amazing, amazing work. Thank you for the inspiration. Enjoy the film festival and have a fabulous birthday πŸ™‚

• awww! Thanks Soma! I really like this one! It is going to be hard to let it go, but I think I can, I think I can! πŸ™‚

2. Well Happy Birthday!
    And have a great time =D

• Thank you and I think I will have a ball! πŸ™‚

3. This is fantastic Susan! Your quilting is amazing, and i love how you mimicked the film strip in the piecing on the back! You are always so clever πŸ™‚ Hope you have fun next weekend for your bday, i love a good horror flick!

• Thank you!! So far I’m up to three of the most awesome birthday presents ever and it is still two days away! It’s like a birthday week, how lucky am I?

4. What a cool quilt and the quilting you did is amazing. And the back, Wow! Just wow! Happy Birthday to you a little bit early. I like a good scary movie but not gory ones. Did you know that Dirty Dancing was a low budget film? They never expected it to be the hit it was. So you are right, I guess they have to work harder and be more creative on these films.

• Thank you! I’m looking forward to chocolate cake for sure!

The low budgets really are some of the best films out there. Often the filmmakers will be at their screenings at Nevermore and will take about what they did. Their passion is infectious and inspiring. It’s a different medium, but I guess at the core we’re all artists and can recognize passion in each other.

Of course, it should be noted that the low budgets are also some of the worst films out there too. hahahaha!

5. Wow, you rock! Another amazing quilt! I can’t watch horror movies , I saw one when I was a kid and it’s scared me away for life. But it’s great for you to have a fun festival to look forward to each year!!

• I had seen a fair number of them when I was young. They scared me, but I found myself interested in how they did it too. The costumes, robots, and blood effects always had my attention. The first one that I remember actually scaring me, like can’t sleep scary, was Night of the Living Dead. I happened to catch it late night one night when I was in the ninth grade and it just hit a sweet spot. I can say, without a doubt, that’s the movie that started all my weird. Loved it!

(hmmm.. also an independent low budget story/character driven film. Never thought about that before.)

6. This is really amazing! I think your version with all the texture is a real step up on the original, which was a great logo to start with. I also think the reverse applique moon was a great call. I’ve had terrible trouble with white applique because the back always shows through. Hope you enjoy the film fest πŸ™‚

• You know, I had not even thought of that when I did it that way. You’re right though, it would have shown through for sure if I had done it the other way. The turned edges don’t show in the letters. I think it is the extra layer of bright white batting that is keeping them from glowing right through.

Can’t wait to get to the movies! Wish I could go all week too. πŸ™‚

7. Your fabulous quilt truly reflects your love of the festival! What a great job you did! So many excellent techniques to translate this logo to fabric. Congratulations and enjoy the weekend.

• Thanks Ann! It is funny how the simplest looking designs are the ones that take so much thought and effort isn’t it?

8. Wow Susan! That is an amazing piece! What a great event to look forward to. Hope each film is better than the last!

• I’m so excited! We picked up the big pile of tickets today! I may have taken them out of my pocket book once or twice just to pet them a bit. ha!

9. This is a wonderful piece! Not only is it cool fiber art, but it preserves some film festival history. I’ve had fairly good luck capturing quilting detail if I get a light down close to quilt-level, shining from one side. For example, I have an Ott Light that adjusts on a long arm. I get it low and shine it across a piece to try to get highlights/shadows that show the quilting design. That said, it’s still difficult to get black thread on black fabric to show. I know your work looks great based on what I can see in the raven!

• Hey! Thanks Karen! Those are great tips!

I did get some of the quilting to show in the black by super overexposing it. You can see the quilting, but the picture looks like crap-ola! I’ll try that set up next time I’m trying to capture the quilting.

10. That is just incredible! Spot on is right! So impressed with this. It sounds like a neat festival, if I weren’t such a wuss when it comes to horror/suspense flicks. This is the girl who disrupted an entire theatre of movie-goers during a screening of Basic Instinct. I’ll stick to movies with muppets. πŸ™‚

• lol! I’ve always loved them! I have these weird ideas about them. For example, I find it crazy hard to watch a torture movie (think Saw, Hostel). They will keep me up at night and literally made me sad for days. Give me a campy survival zombie movie or a supernatural thriller and I’m in! So – moderate horror/suspense. πŸ™‚

11. Wow that sounds like fun, even if I’m not much of a scary movie type. Your quilt turned out phenomenal! Such a great job in every aspect!

• I really do love this one! I suppose I should stop picking subjects I’m so emotionally connected to. Makes me a little weird when other people touch it! hahahaha!

12. Well…..that is just awe-dammit-some. That may be my favorite so far!

• I love it too! I so wish you could see it in real life. Even cooler than in the pictures. πŸ™‚

13. Oh, I love it sooo much! Any hope of a more detailed tutorial for those of us who are trapunto/quilting impaired???

xo Linda

• Thanks Linda! Me too!

Oh yeah, I took lots of pictures along the way and learned a few new tricks! I’ll be sharing them at some point, but not too sure when yet. There’s some Futurama left, a new quilt going into a quilt show and another surprise. Busy weeks coming up. πŸ™‚

14. This is such an amazing piece! I love the way the back turned out too. That’s a lot of quilting! and it is perfect.I’m glad you left off film fest…lets you imaging whatever you want for the specific reference.

• Thanks! It was a lot of quilting! We got snowed in and I thought – “I have extra time, why not make it really dense?”. The answer is because really dense takes hours and hours… and hours! It’s ok. Worth the sore shoulders and everything that comes with it. πŸ™‚

15. The quilt is fabulous. My favorite is that the back of the quilt is a marvelous “ghost” of the front. I am so on board with your rendition! Edgar Allan Poe is my all time favorite, so I am particularly fond of the Raven!!! I know you didn’t mention him but I feel he is the “Father” of macabre and death…

• I haven’t read nearly enough Poe. I’ve read the big popular ones that they have you read in school, but nothing since. I should – I have two copies of Poe’s complete works! If only there were an extra few days in the week. πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for coming by, I’m glad you like it!