Golden Girls Ditty Bag

Golden Girls Ditty Bag

So I mentioned I have a small obsession with the pod people over at CloudsFactory.net? Here’s the set of them that started it!
GoldenGirlsCrossSttichBag

When I saw the pattern for these four, I immediately thought of a good friend and knew she had to have them. She’s a sunflower fan too – so really this Robert Kaufman print with goldwork was a quick winner. I think I like stitching these little folks because its something I can do finish in a few hours. There’s a bit of instant gratification (well, instant compare to my normal take forever projects).

GoldenGirlsCrossSttichBag2

Just for fun, I tried out my sewing machine’s alphabet. It’s a bit sloppy, but makes the point:

GoldenGirlsCrossSttichBag3

You can see, I struggled a bit with setting in the zipper on the right side. This isn’t a pattern, just me deciding I’m going to puzzle through making a bag until I figure out how to get it right. My first one was a bigger hot mess with way more lining than outside material and an even worse zipper set up. I half considered buying a commercial pattern with instructions. In the end, I’m going to keep on trying things out. Sometimes when the instructions tell you what to do, you miss out on a lot of what NOT to do. My stupid brain learns much better from mistakes than successes, so its a good thing, right?

Tshirt Winner!!

Earlier this week I showed you some tshirts and we played a guessing game on which ones I bought. Good news! A few of you guessed it correctly! Elise Lea was first in the US, I’m sending you email momentarily. 🙂

If you’re curious, I picked:

Made With Love and Carrots jpg

I really identify with this maker bunny! Just look at him, marching to the beat of his own drum, smiling and completely happy with his Frankenstein’s monster.  I’ve been calling the three looking at him scared, perplexed, and disinterested. I think it pretty much sums up the looks I’ve become used to. lol!!

Grim Repairs

Poor Death. This one made me lol. I don’t identify with him as much because I’m not an apparel maker, but I do sometimes feel his pain. Late nights – just a few more seams! Hang in there! CRAP. seam ripper.

1. Love the death one .. I will be at my machine for hours (well as long as I am not doing something for the inlaws). Wish I had a seam ripper that big some days ! LOL Had to laugh at it .. Loved the bunny one …
    Love the bag-makes me want to get going on all my bags that I need to make ..

• hahaha, death is so funny right??

Get to work on those bags!

2. Love the golden girls bag! It is hilariously adorable and makes me want to start stitching again – after seeing your bag i totally went and checked out their site and they have some pretty awesome things on there. Might have to go back there one of these days…

oo and thanks for the T-shirt! Can’t wait! 🙂

• I think her little guys are just too cute for words. I really like that are so simple. Small changes really change everything about the character. Now that I’ve made several of them, I dont really even have to count anymore. Win, then more win!

You’re welcome. Mine seem to have disappeared in the mail. Better check up on that!

3. Such a super cute bag! Love those old gals! Your friend is going to be so happy to get this sweet gift!

• I do hope she likes it (and it made it there!) I really enjoyed making it. Its so out of my wheelhouse which can be really fun. 🙂

4. What a cute bag, Susan! I see so many darling ones around but like you, I think I could figure it out on my own. Problem is I haven’t started. Good for you!

• heh, yeah. I don’t know why I’m oft determined to do things for myself. I have a bag that is working my nerves as we speak. I think I can get it through – wish me luck. 🙂

5. How cute! I think your zipper looks just fine! It’s a perfectly wonderful zip pouch!

• The zipper is ok – the tucking into the bag, not so much. I think next time I just wont turn it in. Problem solved! 🙂 Thanks for coming by. 🙂

6. The Golden Girls stitchery is so perfectly paired with the sunflowers. The bag looks great, Susan! Haha, I didn’t play along on the giveaway, but those are the two I guessed that you would buy! Death made me laugh too!! LOL!!

• heh, I’m so transparent aren’t I?? 🙂

Thanks muches for the Golden Girls love. It was lots of fun to make. 🙂

7. Awesome! I have a couple little cross stitch patterns (goonies, and some star wars) and have been wondering how to work them into something other than a wall hanging! This is the perfect idea! Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

• Oh so cute! Love me some Goonies!

If you use a small stitch length you can pretty much sew cross stitch into anything. I’ve put it in Christmas Ornaments, tree skirts, towels, bags, pins, buttons, well, just about anything. Can’t wait to see what you make!! 🙂

8. Glad you figured out the bag. I’m not courageous enough yet to try something like that without a pattern. And congrats to your winner. I guess 1 out of 2 right.

• I probably should get a pattern. I’m much better editing a starter. For some reason though – I’m feeling pig headed about this one. I can do it! I know I can. 🙂

9. That bag turned out soo cute! I do like that death mending his own cloak shirt!

• Isn’t he funny? It’s too silly not to own! 🙂

10. Love the bag and those tiny cross stitch characters are just darling!

• Thank you ma’am! They really are fun to make. 🙂

11. Yeah, I know how that skeleton feels, especially after making that hexagon quilt! I really love the needlepoint. Your blog is a lot of fun!

• ha! Me too Tina, me too. Might even be feeling the burn right now! 🙂

12. Oh, this made me laugh! Love it!

• Thank you! I really enjoyed making it. 🙂

13. I just thought family should not participate. Good thing I did not enter cause yo butt would be sending yo mama a t shirt. Golden Girls are awesome!

• You want one? I’ll send it to you. 🙂

14. I love it! I learn better by doing WHILE following instructions. I get really impatient trying to figure things out on my own. 🙂

• heh, I hear you! I usually do follow instructions with things I’ve never done before. Mostly because I wouldn’t figure it out if I didn’t. I’ve put in a bunch of zippers though – I should be able to do this! 🙂

15. Susan love your Golden Girls Bag! That cross stitch is just fabulous and I love your embroidery on the inside. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Thanks so much Marie! It really wa a lot of fun to make even if it isn’t perfect. I hope it is well loved and if not, that’s ok too. 🙂