Phew! I do love this Embroidered Hogwarts crest and now that I have it, I’m so thrilled I stuck it out and got it done. It was a beast y’all. Everything that could go wrong did! Check out this list of crazy…
1. It took FOR-EV-ER. There are so many details and sections of this it took a really long time to just create the embroidery objects. For the most part I knew what I was going to do, but there were a few places I hit logic problems and and re-adjust accordingly. I think digitizing time was somewhere around four hours.
2. I needed the crest to be 6 x 6. Even though I spent two days trying to convince myself I should make it 5 x 5 so I could fit it in a single hooping. I knew I’d never be happy with 5 x5 so I went ahead and set it up for a split. Sadly – I misplaced one of the alignment lines on the first digitizing go which killed the placement for the second half. Sigh. Start over.
Sigh. Start over – again.
4. I REVERSED my background colors and put green behind Hufflepuff and Yellow behind Slytherin. Fortunately I realized it before I made it to Ravenclaw, but still! sigh! Start over – again again!
At this point I was pretty determined that it could and would be done. I said a few cuss words then I sat down with it and took my time through it with high quality cottons. Even though it came out well, I was so exasperated with it all I could do was snarl at it. A few days later though, I was happy and willing to work adding the half square triangles to give it shape and capping my bookcase, finally!
Speaking of capping, I made bricks for the outside of my bookcase. My bookcase is brown. Lots and lots of brown. Miles of brown. I didn’t want a single hint of brown on the outside walls. I auditioned about 50 fabrics as potential “wallpapers”. Most of them were bold, graphic, geometric style prints. A few leaned more towards a gothic style feel. I liked almost every single one of them but they all presented one problem or another. There was also a common problem with every single print I tried – How in the word are the little things going all over the outside going to compete with the print? The background really needed to be a supporter and not a star.
Once I decided on neutral, I went all in and decided gray. I bought a few yards of true grays with little to no bias towards any color. I would give you a pattern or process to make your own bricks, but seriously, I don’t even know how to tell you I did it. Given the bricks were an afterthought, nothing was prepared or measured in a way that they would fit together without scant seams or 1/8″ cuts. I fought with these bricks and their mortar for hours. I would do some fancy math, think I had everything right, sew it together, realize I didn’t account for something and out comes the seam ripper. They had to be balanced, so any mistake was compounded by having to correct it for both sides. The bottom was supposed to have two additional inches for the leg part of the claw feet, but I tell you – by the time I made it to that section and the math didn’t work out quite right – I’d had enough! The quilt is huge and really doesn’t need another two inches and my brain was done. I lopped off the top of the feet and called it happy!
The Claw Feet
Some of you have asked and I shall provide! Here’s is a .pdf of my line art that I used to make the claw feet. You’ll notice some extra details in the line work that you don’t see yet on the feet. I intend to add that at quilting time. You could also add them now with thread or not at all! This file will print to have finished foot roughly 4″ x 6″. I made my feet with raw edge applique (I traced the one on left from the reverse side of the print out and the right one from the front side of the print out. The pieces went on exactly as described in the Sharktopus Raw edge applique pattern I posted earlier this week.
The Embroidery Files
So here they are, the embroidery files in .pes, .jef, and .vp3. The crest stitches the left side then splits with alignment lines and stitches the right. Fair warning – it is not for the faint of heart! It works and looks great, but it has four applique sections (backgrounds of house animals) and has a fair number of thread changes/jumps. Your machine is likely to show unusual thread color names (I use them to break the thread and they aren’t always the “right’ color). You will need to know what it is stitching next and select your desired color rather than lean on the color list from the file. If you have preview software, I highly recommend you use it to see where the file is and what it actually going to stitch next. For my crest, I used a “gold” yellow thread crest and a “bright” yellow thread for the animals. I like that they are close, but not the same. As always, if you have problems with the files, let me know and I’ll try to fix it.
Check out the TBZ’s Harry Potter Quilt index. It is full of links including a link to the original project and patterns as well as links to any of TheBoredZombie.com’s related posts and other custom blocks complete with downloadable embroidery patterns or applique templates. You can also see more about my machine and software in this post and take a look at my design process in this post.
I have some real life things coming up so it will be a few weeks before there is more Harry Potter updates. If even half of my plans work out, it will be worth the wait (I hope!). See you on the other side!
(At this time, due to technical difficulties, blog comments are turned off. I still love to hear from you though! Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on Facebook and Instagram!)