My version of Hedwig is strongly strongly influenced by this image of her from the HP movie promotional materials. (d’awww look at wittle baby Radcliffe)
I tinkered with the sizing a bit by cropping the image as close as possible to Hedwig’s outside contour line. I then used MS Word to pick some static sizes for the image (7”, 8”, and 9” wide). I printed all three sizes and pinned them to the design wall until I found one that I thought suited the space. Ultimately, I went with 7.5” wide for the image. I used my tracing paper method of designing the block except this time, I actually traced something! I doodled in a wonky perch in place of Harry’s arm and I was off the races!
I transferred her shape by tracing it on to a rinse-away stabilizer then I used some glue sticks and combination of turned edge and raw edge applique to attach her to my block (with the faux trapunto technique described below). I used a paper back fusible web to cut and shape small pieces for the eyes and beaks. I put them in place using my tracing paper template, did a tight zig zag stitch around their edges. Finally, added details with jacquard textile paints.
I knew I wanted her to really stand out a bit when the whole quilt was quilted so I did a faux trapunto technique.
Place an oversized piece of fusible batting with the glue side facing the back of the block and a piece of lightweight tear away stabilizer backing everything (Note: Normally I would do this with the glue facing the other direction to fuse it to the batting that gets added later; however, I knew it would be a long time before that happened and I really didn’t want to accidently fuse it to, well, anything else.)
Complete all of the zig zag stitching around the applique piece
FMQ any designs or shapes
Cut away excess batting around the applique line
Fuse reaming batting in place (though it is likely to not go anywhere from all that quilting!)
The trapunto effect isn’t much to see now, but when the wood grain goes in, she should pop right off the quilt.
When Hedwig just existed in my head, she was going to be almost all feathers. It didn’t take long working with them to realize how bad of an idea that was. I wasn’t willing to let her be feather-less so I compromised. I found this feather patch at the craft store.
I added more feathers to fill it out and stitched them right to the patch. I added a few black and white feathers and a few on the top to cover the manufacturer’s finish. Then I added snaps to make them removable just like the Monster book of Monsters fur.
In complete and total honestly – I like her with and without feathers!
Check out the TBZ’s Harry Potter Quilt index. It is full of links including a link to the original project and patterns as well as links to any of TheBoredZombie.com’s related posts and other custom blocks complete with downloadable embroidery patterns or applique templates. You can also see more about my machine and software in this post.
See you next week with lots of new book titles!