It’s Aragog! I will readily admit I took quite a bit of artistic license with with the big spider, but I think I managed the spirit. He has salt and pepper hairy legs and milky blind eyes. I also made him rather large and out of scale with the other items on the shelves hoping to further demonstrate the spirit of his actual size.
Aragog was “improv applique”. I started by placing the pieced books on the design wall and drawing out the space I had to work with for Aragog. I drew out what I thought he might look like and put the paper back on the wall to make sure it was the direction I wanted to go.
Once I felt good about his placement and shape, I used the tracing paper as a template for making applique pieces. He’s really just simple circles which made it so much easier. His legs are made from fun fur in synthetic “chinchilla” colors. They turned out to be really simple. I used a small (1 wide, .8 length) zig zag stitch right along the braided part of the yarn using an open toed foot.
Here’s what he looked like with the back circle and all eight legs.
I found the fur to be a little “too furry” so I gave him a haircut and trimmed down the fur to 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I wasn’t too scientific about it, which seemed to work out really well. Adding his “face” circle covered all of the ends and made them actually look like legs.
Oh! The thing next to Aragog –
It’s a wand. Pottermore assigned me a 11 3/4 Dogwood wand that looks something like this. I’m hoping that when it gets wood grain in the quilting it will be more “wand like”. Either way – no do overs allowed! 🙂
Check out the Harry Potter Project of Doom index. It is full of links to the original project and patterns as well as links to any related posts with embroidery patterns or applique templates. You can also see more about my machine and software in this post.