The engine was a lot of fun to make. I started with a printed template to make applique pieces from. If you’d like to use it, download the following image, size it to 8″ wide in MS Word or other program and use your favorite applique technique. I did glue turn, but think fusible raw edge would be pretty perfect too!
There are a lot of details in the engine block. Here’s a close up…
- I used a patterned red for the cab section to separate the two sections.
- Window uses reverse applique for the yellow fabric
- Gold lines were added using metallic gold thread and super tight zig zag stitches
- Hogwarts Castle, train number, bell, and smoke stack detail are painted on with Jacquard textile paints
- Wheels are quilters’ yo-yos with a decorative button in the middles. (The yo-yos are stabilized to support the buttons)
- Added a dementor (see how to make them on this post!)
For something so small and simple looking, this train engine took a LONG TIME. I thought it was something I was going to just ‘whip up’ and it just didn’t work out that way. I think it is ok though – I really like it and can’t wait to see it when it gets its quilting.
Custom Polymer Button
Here’s a close up of the Ford Anglia polymer button.
It has some jump rings cooked into it to stabilize the button holes and I add a bit of mold maker to allow it to bend a bit without breaking. I’m still debating on if I want to finish it matte or glossy AND where it will end up on the quilt. Good thing this goes on very very last!
Find all posts, tutorials, embroidery files and general postulations on this index post of all things TBZ Project of Doom!
Up next – new books for the top right to replace the Gilderoy Lockharts that are now between the Hogwarts Express Bookends.