Maker Faire NC 2014 awesomeness!

Maker Faire NC 2014 awesomeness!

My shoulders hurt, my calves are sore, I’ve had a lingering headache most of the day, and I’ve been hungry enough to eat through the house. Let me tell you – it is the BEST. HANGOVER. EVER. Every second that I’ve put into getting ready for the Maker Faire NC yesterday was totally worth it. I can’t find enough words to describe how impressed I am with Maker Faire NC organizers, other Makers, and TheBoredZombie.com volunteers.  Take a look at some photos from yesterday with some of my favorite sights, sounds, and moments from a Maker’s perspective.

You gotta start somewhere and I started with pole and drape early on Friday. I finally met Kevin, the organizer, in person and knew I was in good company. He totally gets it and has been plans for Maker Faire NC. I’m pretty sure he and the rest of the organizers and volunteers are going to make it happen and I can’t wait be there!

MakerFaireNC (2)

By GO TIME, everything was in place and ready for event guests to come by and try out sewing for themselves. My kid was way more excited about her Maker badge than I was about mine (which is saying a lot)! That kind of makes my heart sing. When she came back later in the afternoon she started putting some of the blocks together. Do you know – she actually cared about seam allowance! She really wanted to do well with and managed to put them right sides together, every time!

MakerFaireNC (5)

Oh how I love Julie and Rebecca! They get it too y’all and were so good at talking to people, drawing them in, and making them comfortable with trying out the sewing machines. I swear, they are just so much fun to be around and made it just that much more special of an event.

MakerFaireNC (3)

Rebecca brought tons of Giving Bunnies! It was so darn cool to have them around to give to some of the kids and adults that enjoyed them! Even the ones who thought they were giving teeth. ha!

Instagram - Mozilla Firefox_2014-06-08_21-00-01

The variety of people that had a seat and sewed a few a seams was so exciting. They had nothing in common! Everybody from the toddlers in our laps to little old men took the time to give it a try. It is amazing how many people were reluctant and willing after a little coaxing. Equally amazing, how many young men and women were willing to take seat without any coaxing! One little boy was totally in to this. He couldn’t have been more than 5 and he was designing blocks and thinking about partial seams! I just loved hearing comments like, “I really need to get my sewing machine out”, “I used to sew, but haven’t in years, I’m going to get started again”, “Again, mama, again”, “I didn’t know you could do cool stuff with quilts”, or “I might just have to try that”.

MakerFaireNC (6)

One fella turned the corner and when he spotted Futurama, his jaw literally dropped. This man stood dumbfounded for a moment looking at my silly nerd quilt. This may have been the biggest compliment of my making career. It was so genuine and he was so kind. I wish I had caught his name!

Friends and family dropped by, I met some new people that I really hope to connect with in the future, and we all worked together and ended up with enough blocks to make nearly two 100 by 100 quilts that look something like this

MakerFaireNC (7)

There’s still a bit more work to be done on these two. When they are done, I think they are going to be something special. It’s enough to “know” that 100 people contributed to a gift quilt, but I think it is really special to see it. Each of these quilts will get a signature panel on the back with the names of the people that added a block.

MakerFaireNC (1)

At the end of the day, tired feet, muscles, and brains, we all headed out. Want to hear something funny? I find myself quite emotionally connected to this image. These people, these amazing, wonderful people, came together to help and to support my passions of making, sharing, teaching, and inspiring. I’m positive that we did inspire and we did teach and we did do something great for nothing more than the love of the game. Geez, I’m getting all bleary eyed! Guess I’ll just show you the picture already!

MakerFaireNC (4)

I know I’ve said thank yous a million times and I’m sure it gets old, but I’m just so grateful. This community of Makers, quilters, geeks, and nerds is something really special, I’m happy and gratified in so many ways to be a part of it. I just can’t wait to see what is next! What do you all want to do??

1. Oh how fun Susan. I can still get the excitement just from reading about it.

• Thanks Vera! It really was a great time. I loved every minute and do hope to attend again next year. Maybe we’ll do kid prints. 🙂

2. Wow how cool is that! I love that you had people sewing! And your quilts look fantastic!

• It was awesome Jehnny. Really a fantastic experience. The quilts will be done soon and I’ve met a lady that is aware of some local families that may be interested in having them. I’m so excited. 🙂

3. Your exhibit looked stunning! The sewing machine and blocks were inspired. I loved hearing about all the different people who tried sewing. We have Maker fair here in my neck in the woods. You’re inspiring me to give it a try. You have wonderful friends!

4. Looks like a good time was had by all ! Glad you made it through !!

5. Ahhh! Bowser quilt!!! Finally, I get to see pictures of it. 😉 It sounds like you had a great time at Maker Fair – I only wish I could have been there too. And I really like the quilts that you had everyone chip in to make. So much fun, all in one little post!

• It was a really good time! I do hope they will have me back next year. I met so many fantastic folks and the support from the local quilting community was really something special. Of course, next year, I”m going to take the time to look around a bit more. I’m sure I missed some awesome from the other makers!

6. I’ve never been to a fair like this. Does everyone bring their own fabrics to make their own squares? Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

• Nope, The fabric was all donated by local long arm quilters with HUGE stashes. It’s actually not a sewing event. Makers can be people that make, well, anything. There’s more techie projects than traditional crafts, but plenty of room for both. It’s such an amazing event. Regardless of what each Maker is sharing it is for no reason other than they love to make and share. Grassroots + passion = awesomeness! 🙂

7. What a fantastic way of sharing what you love to do! Amazing work and energy!

• Isn’t it Donna? I’m so grateful for the venue and all of the volunteers that made it happen!

8. What an amazing post! Your quilt display definitely drew them in. How fun to spend the day turning such a wide range of people on to sewing and quilting. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all!

• It was so much fun Lorna, right where I want to be. Helping people get over fear, trying something new, and unlocking their own thoughts and creativity. I hope to do it again soon! (well, after I get all caught up from this event and finish these quilts….)

9. What a great idea and well executed! Congratulations! Just brilliant all-around. I love that you were able to inspire people to dig their sewing machines out of their closets and show others how fun sewing can be! And you had them participate in making a donation quilt at the same time. This is so much awesome!!!!

• Thanks Karen! I totally agree with you! It was so nice to be able to do it completely for the love of the game. No selling, no convincing, no quotas. Just spreading the love!

10. Thank you for all of your hard work in organizing everything. I had a wonderful time with you and all of the people who visited the booth and sewed with us. What was the final block count?

• I’m not positive! Kat took the partial finish for the second quilt with her to finish up. I think we ended up somewhere between 160 -180.

Thanks for everything! You gave me lots of courage!