Lady in Red: A little glory, a little basking, and a LOT of piecing!

Lady in Red: A little glory, a little basking, and a LOT of piecing!

Normally, this post would include some random bit of wisdom I’ve learned, some tips for techniques, or a few 100 words in tutorial form. I’m tired though – I’ve been working so hard and the words won’t come. Since I really want to show you – I’m just going to let her speak for herself and bask in the glory of a huge finished paper piecing job.

LadyInRed

I’m really pleased with how she’s coming along and much happier with the green than I was previously. If you love her too – Janeen at QuiltArtDesigns is selling the pattern. Get it from Janeen’s Craftsy.com store now!

Final Time Count for piecing:

Thinking about/reviewing pattern and instructions: 1.5 hours
Searching for and settling on fabrics: 2 hours
Pattern prep/piecing first section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing second section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing third/fourth sections: 6 hours
Pattern prep/piecing fifth section: 3 hours
Pattern prep/piecing sixth section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing seventh, eighth, and ninth sections: 8 hours
Pattern prep/piecing for tenth, eleventh, and twelfth sections: 9.5 hours

Total Time Investment: 37.5 hours

Want more?

Check out Lady in Red’s index that aggregates all of the posts about her.

1. Very pretty! She turned out perfect! I started keeping track of my time within the last year too. I find it helpful but also a little staggering when I see some of the totals. :) Great work!

• I know, right!! It has made me much more appreciative of other people’s efforts too. Nothing looks “easy” anymore! :)

2. My first comment was “absolutely stunning”. That was before I saw her up close and personal at Faire. Now I don’t think it does her justice. I will have to check Webster’s for a word that she deserves…..if there is one.

3. Oh man Susan, that looks amazing! I have to admit, I wasn’t really sold on the fabrics at first, but now that you’ve got them all together, I can’t imagine any other choices. :)

• You know, me either!! I just kept telling myself… If I hate this, I put a new learning experience in my toolbox. I started to like it more after I had lived with her a few weeks and saw her hanging from a distance. I think the quilting will really make it a fun piece.

• Thanks Diana! I love her too! Most of the credit goes to Janeen (the pattern designer). I just had to color by number. :)

4. She turned out fab! Great fabric choice too.

• Thanks Vera! I like the fabrics much better now that she’s all pieced. I wasn’t too sure for a while there….

5. I’m always in awe of quilters and the amazing work that can be done with fabric. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday. Would love for you to share your craft tutorials too :-)

• Oh yes, there are plenty of those. I didn’t know you all supported older posts? I’ll keep my eyes open for the next round, Code Monkey is a fun beginner projects. :)

6. This is a real piece of art! Congratulations to your lady in red, Barbora

7. WOW Susan! That is amazing! She’s beautiful :)

8. It’s fantastic – I’ve loved seeing this one develop in the snippets you’ve shown but wow… Great work!

• Well thank you ma’am. Me too! I think it was kind of fun that Janeen withheld the face until the end. I ended up making the face before the last block, but it was still a fun little motivator. :)

9. You just keep amazing me! Beautiful. No words needed, she says it all ;)

10. Amazing! It turned out beautifully! I can’t wait to see how you quilt her!