The Sunday Geekery: A hodge-podge of awesomeness

The Sunday Geekery: A hodge-podge of awesomeness

I’ve been toiling away in the background sewing my face off and making a zillion little preparations for Maker Faire North Carolina. It looks like Bowser will make his big debut and another brand new quilt you haven’t seen yet! The crowd sourcing project is coming along too – What’s that you ask? Worry not, I’ll spill all of the beans just before Maker Faire. I’m over the moon excited about this event and so thrilled with the support from the community. What support you ask? Worry not, I’ll have lots of love coming for some amazing people just before Maker Faire too.

Between actual work (Why do they keep making me do stuff for a paycheck??), Mommy work, Maker Faire prep, and getting myself organized for an upcoming retreat and quilt show, I’ve had to take a few hours of downtime here and there, lest I go insane. So, what have I managed to find time for? It is actually a pretty big list!

Godzilla

GODZILLANow you know how I love a monster movie! There’s no way I wasn’t going to find time to watch Godzilla when it was still in theaters. How I managed to pick the movie time with a gaggle of 12 year old talking and popcorn throwing boys, I’ll never know. The movie was fun. Yep, I can poke about a million holes in it, the build up is slow, and it has an unnecessary human interest plot line. I forgive it for all of those things because it also has BIG FREAKING MONSTERS EATING THE CITY.  Win! There’s some pretty fantastic art too. A few of the matte painting scenes were something to behold.

House, MD

housemdHere’s a show I’ve never watched. It’s always one I thought would be in my wheelhouse, but you know, time, desire, etc gets in the way. The series on Netflix now, which means I can consume it in my favorite way – binge watching! I’ve made through about two seasons while I’m quilting away and I do really enjoy the show. If you’ve missed it up until now, I highly recommend picking it up. Speaking of new to you shows – Amazon Prime has picked up lots of HBO shows. Six Feet Under is well worth your time.

The Lunar Chronicles

Lunar-Chronicles-by-Marissa-MeyerYes, it’s true. I read young adult novels like I was a thirteen year old girl. There’s something charming about these stories. They have a little drama and intrigue, but aren’t so damn heavy you need a family tree and a therapist to work though some of the emotional issues. I’m looking at you George RR Martin. Marissa Meyer has a fun series here. Each of the sci-fi books introduces a new heroine based on famous fairy tales. Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel are recognizable, but not in your face. I liked these books, such a nice diversion. How will I ever last until next year when the final of the four comes along?!

Some Ghost Stories

movie-listThe only thing I love better than a monster movie is a ghost story! I’ve watched three fun ones over the last few weeks. I recommend them all! Sinister is disturbing ghost story with Ethan Hawke. This is a Point of view tale that takes you on his journey without lots of distractions. I’ll warn you – no happy ending here. As a matter of fact, it somewhat dumps “how to avoid a haunting” right on its head. Dead Silence is a doll movie. Which makes it creepy as all get out just by existing. It is a little slow going, but worth it for the creepiness factor. Stalled is just flat out silly. This British low budget zombie film tells the story of a janitor that finds himself stuck in a bathroom stall during a zombie outbreak. Stalled isn’t groundbreaking or amazing, but a fun way to burn a few hours for sure.

So what have you been reading and watching? Are you ready for Orange is the New Black S2? You have bought your tickets for RiffTrax Sharknado, right?

1. Oh, those are some great suggestions! I’ve actually not read or seen any of those! I’ve seen some really good reviews of Cinder though, so it’s making it’s way up my “to read” list. Thanks for sharing what you do in your “off” time!

• Oh how I love to geek out! I really want to play Dragon Quest on my mobile devices, but all of mine are branded! I swear, if I have to go buy a full android phone just to play this stupid game…..

2. Susan:
    You saw my movie ? Godzilllllllllllllllllllla LOVE him and mothra !LOL I loved the old Godzilla movies and I am hoping this one is not a bust … BUTTTTTTTTTTTT time will tell when it comes on cable (as I love to watch movies in my jammies and not have to put up with a bunch of 12 year old boys throwing popcorn!LOL).

There is a new one out called the protectors or something like that one, its from Marvel Comics Hopefully it will be good as the trailer I saw recently.

Hope you are having fun at the Faire (or if you have returned had fun !LOL).

Take care !
    Diana aka Cassews

• I’ve seen the trailers for that The Protectors, it does look like it could be fun! I watch so many independent movies that every now and again it is fun to watch one of the big budget movies with real effects and such. It was fun to hear it too. ROOOAAR!

The Faire is coming up Saturday. Things are falling into place and I’m really looking forward to it!

• Wooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo !!! LOVE the roar as our living room is acoustically made for the roar !LOL and its great when the grands & I are watching a movie and its quiet, then the roar and they jump out of their seats !LOL (I know bad granny !LOL)

Have ever so much fun at the faire… Looking forward to pictures !

Take care
        Diana aka Cassews

3. House is one of my all-time favorite shows! I just love Hugh Laurie. Glad you’re finally catching it. Totally worth it!

• I seem to love him too! Broken characters are always my favorites. He’s pretty broken for sure!!

4. OMG I CAN’T WAIT FOR BOWSER! A new quilt! Makers Faire! and crowd sourcing… oooooohhhhhhhhhoooohhhhhhhhhhhh. I’m so excited for you, my head is going to explode, and I don’t even know what’s happening yet!

I loved Godzilla, I thought it was true to the old Godzilla style, with a bit more human interest thrown in. I do wish there were just a tad more action… Also – I’m not sure why I’m publicly admitting this – I cried… like a big baby, toward the end of the movie… twice. Derrick made fun of me soooo bad haha.

• haha! Yeah, I felt for the big guy too and I was kinda sad for the baby monsters that were all burned up. I’m sure it is some crazy allegory for something or other, but I just pretend they are big radiation eating monsters. 🙂

5. Godzilla is the guardian angel of my husband’s since he was about 12. He felt Godzilla could protect him from anything! We saw the show this weekend and it was fantastic! So much better than the last movie, agggg! Loved that they let Godzilla do his radiation thing–so cool. Missed the little Japanese children, especially the psychic twins or some variation thereof. The battles were good, just too short, this is a monster movie, people! Still my favorite Godzilla movie is GMK Giant Monsters All Out Attack! Highly, highly recommended!

• Oh yeah, the radiation thing was cool! I really liked the results of messing with the electricity. There was way too much time on the humans and not enough time on the monsters, but a fun one none the less. And yes, WAAAY better than the last attempt!

Good to see you, glad things are going well!

6. Thanks for this! I’m going to have some down time this month for lots of reading and TV/movies, so I really appreciate the recommendations.

• Yay! Glad it is useful. 🙂

I’ve really got to get back to my alaphbet movie list. My “I’s” have been hanging around a long time waiting on me…

7. I do not have the netflix so I can’t comment on OSTNB, but I do have every season of House on dvd because Hugh Laurie is amazing. Other than that, I’ve been watching British shows. Strikeback, Sherlock, a number of things Masterpiece related….

I’ve actually dabbled in reading Game of Thrones though I’m trying hard not to read farther ahead than the show because I would prefer the show to traumatize me horrifically instead of just reading about the gruesome deaths of characters I’ve come to love…. Also read the Princess Bride not that long ago and the (totally fictional) introduction might actually be funnier than the book – where he comes up with this stuff, I’ll never know.

• Oh the Brits! How I love their story telling style. There have been a few shows (Extras) that I have to turn the subtitles on for! ha!

Game of Thrones is just a little too heavy for me. If I can’t keep up with it in 10 minute spurts over two to three weeks, I’m out. 🙂

I’ve never read Princess Bride! I totally should. Must put it on the list.

8. I like the original Japanese Godzilla shows where the monsters really looked like toys. I haven’t seen the newer version. Have fun making your Maker Faire things.

• Aren’t they great! lol!

I am having fun with Maker Faire stuff. For the first time in several events, I’m feeling pretty prepared. It can be amazing how well things fall into place sometimes, right?

9. Yeah yeah, Shaun of the Dead! Must watch!!!
    Esther

• I agree! It’s been more than a year since I’ve seen it. I should probably drag it out!

10. Have you watched “Shaun of the Dead?” I’m not a big fan of Zombies or movies of them, but Shaun is hysterically funny to me. It’s an English movie and handles the situation as only English comedies can. If you haven’t watchcd it, you must put it in your line-up. I bet you’ll love it!

xo Linda

• Oh yes, Shaun of the Dead is like an anthem around here. Fantastic film! Hot Fuzz and World’s End are fun too. I’ve watched Simon Pegg in a British series called Spaced. I think it is on Netflix now. It’s worth a watch, very clever stuff. 🙂