Lady in Red is half way there!

Lady in Red is half way there!

I’ve officially made it half way through Lady in Red! Here you see blocks #1 – #6 of 12.

LadyInRedQuilt

She’s come a long way since you’ve last seen her! As a matter of fact, she’s come a long way since Sunday. I was on week 2, well behind the QAL. I don’t know why or how I got such a head full of steam, but I’ve been determined to catch up with the rest of the group. Only one block to go and I’ve done it. Of course, there will be a new block on Thursday making me one behind again. I’m getting completely caught up over the weekend though – even if it kills me.

Do you love her and want to make her too? This pattern is part of Janeen Van Niekerk’s Art Quilt Quilt along, Girl in the Wind. You can join up now and get all the blocks published up to this point.

BOM @ QADesigns

Time Check-In

I tend to way over commit myself because I’m not so good at estimating how long something will take. With this project I’m keeping a semi-watchful eye on hours spent and keeping a running tally. Hopefully I’ll learn something!

Thinking about/reviewing pattern and instructions: 1.5 hours
Searching for and settling on fabrics: 2 hours
Pattern prep/piecing first section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing second section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing third/fourth sections: 6 hours
Pattern prep/piecing fifth section: 3 hours
Pattern prep/piecing sixth section: 2.5 hours

Total Time Investment: 20 hours

Your thoughts?

So what do you think? Do you like the red? How about the green? Sometimes I walk by and love it. Sometimes I walk by and just about fall apart over it. I have lots of quilting and embellishment plans. Maybe I’ll love it when it has some more going on? hmmmm….

Do you think she needs a name? I keep thinking I should stop calling her lady and give her an actual name, but it seems forced and forced is never good huh? Maybe I’ll just call her Lady. Good enough for Kenny Rogers and Chris DeBurgh – good enough for me!

Want more?

Check out Lady in Red’s index that aggregates all of the posts about her.

Link Parties:
WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced
Let’s Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts

1. She’s coming together beautifully, Susan! The contrast between the red and the green is just right. Can’t wait to see how she looks when finished!

• Thanks Lorna! I’m looking forward to seeing what she looks like all finished too! 🙂

2. Looking great Susan! I can’t wait to see how this turns out. Your fabrics are just amazing love the green background with those reds! Can’t wait to see more!

• Yay! Thank you Elise! Your support helps tons – if you like it, it must be good. 🙂

3. Love it! The red is beautiful!!! I don’t think you should name her until you’re done piecing. If it feels forced, it’s never a good thing. I always have a love/hate relationship with all my projects and when I’m done I always say “I made this and it’s awesome!” always, even if pieces of it are crap. You’ll love her even more when she’s done! 🙂

• You’re so right! Once it is done, I don’t question myself a million times. It’s just done and I love it and can do the things I don’t like differently in another project later. Funny – intellectually, I understand, but I still go through the questions. 🙂

4. She looks awesome! I love all the fabrics in her hair. She has such personality already, even without a face!

• Thanks Leanne! I’ve been looking at her on and off over the weekend while I worked on a different quilt. I’m starting to get a solid plan of how I want to quilt her. That makes me feel a little better about her. 🙂

5. The Biglet…8-)

• Wouldn’t that make her Lady in Grey? hahahaha!

6. I really like the colours you’ve gone for. It’s very autumnal. The shade of green you’ve chosen works really well with the warmth of the reds. The result of the pallet is very atmospheric. I say- love it! And keep going ’cause it looks great!

• Yay! Thanks Bekki! Sometimes a little support goes a really long way and I needed some on that green. 🙂

7. The green is perfect, it works wonderfully with the red. This is going to be quite amazing Susan!

• Thanks Cynthia! You make me feel good!! 🙂

8. I think it’s hard to tell what you’re going to think of it when it’s all done from the current view. True, there’s a lot done already… but you’re not making blocks so much as making parts of a whole. 🙂 I’m sure you’ll love it again when it’s all coming together.

• I’m so sure you’re right! In my heart of hearts, I knew that. Just needed you all to remind me and set me straight. 🙂

9. She looks awesome!!

• Thanks Renee! I like her better today than yesterday, though I didn’t hate her yesterday. I think I just needed a day off. I’ve been way focused on it. 🙂

10. Susan,
    This is beautiful! I can’t wait to see it finished!

kbcjohn from Sew South

• Thanks Kim! I’m getting a little antsy too. Since it is a QAL, I have to wait just like everybody else. hahaha!

11. I think it will be lovely when it’s all done. The red and green are perfect complements. I was going to say the “Lady in Red” is a good name, but thought you should name her Autumn! lol

• Heh, Autumn isn’t a bad choice at all! She even feels a little fall-ish eh?

Thanks for the support – I’m digging it again. Guess the self doubt is just part of the process. 🙂

12. I love the colours… I’m a red head so I might be biased. :-). Your Lady is looking absolutely stunning.

• Red heads are the best! I’ve always been jealous, maybe that’s why Lady is red. 🙂

13. I think she looks amazing but I’m not going to join because I don’t want to commit so much time. I also tend to underestimate how long these things take and I’m really determined to finish the projects I’m working on before starting anything else. I like ‘lady in red’ as a name 🙂

• It’s crazy right? I do take an extra 20 minutes or so on each block because I think backwards and sew from the back side of the paper. I have to reverse it. I like to work on tissue paper too. I have yet to figure out a good way to print on tissue so I tape the patterns to the window and trace every. single. line. In the end, I save myself bunches more time because when I don’t I make mistake after mistake.

Of course, that only makes a difference of about three to four hours or so. I suspect this one will finish somewhere around 55 – 60. One day – I’ll pick smaller projects. 🙂

14. Hi Susan!
    I adore the red and green! The green is peaceful and makes her hair look like fire!!!
    I am really impressed!
    Esther

• Wow! Thanks Esther! You have such an amazing eye, that makes me feel tons better for sure!

15. I think a name will come when she has a face, though Lady sounds good, a bit mysterious. Definitely love the red tones! I always start second guessing my quilts about halfway through but have learnt that it always comes together in the end. Have fun catching up, she’s looking amazing.

• You may be right! The face doesn’t come until week 12, which I think is cruel and unusual punishment. 🙂

You’re absolutely right about the second guessing in the middle. I wonder if that is sometimes how I end up with so many WIPs.. .

• Dear Susan, and Lady in Red, first of all I think this is WOW! amazing. Good on you! Second, ah hem, no cruelty here, if I gave you the face, would you finish the rest of her hair? Really? LOL! Thanks for the post!

• Thanks Janeen! I’m glad you like her – I’d hate to do injustice to your pattern!

Yes, you’re probably right. Saving the face until last is a very wise thing to do. The hair is fun though – I havent been bored yet.

• The colors and movement make me think of Melisandre from Song of Ice and Fire, but I agree with Rachael that a name will probably come with the face. I think the fabrics you picked for this quilt are very complimentary. Thumbs up.

That iffy-ness about a project hits me every time I make anything and also starts about half way through (glad I’m not alone!) and is relieved when I’m done, only to come back as judgmental thoughts as soon as I go to show the project to someone else. That goes away a few weeks after I’m done. At that point, I can really sit back and fully appreciate my work. We’re cheering you on!

• Hey Jess! Nice to meet you!

Up until you all mentioned it, I never really noticed how consistently I question/hate a project somewhere in the middle. You’re right though – if I just stick with it and trust that it will all fall into place, then it probably will.

I walked past her today and noticed I put the wrong color on the hair that folds just under her neck. It should be a long dark brown strand and somehow I made it red in one of the squares! I gave her a name at that moment for sure – good thing it is temporary, it isn’t very nice. hahahaha!