Lady in Red is half way there!

Lady in Red is half way there!

I’ve officially made it half way through Lady in Red! Here you see blocks #1 – #6 of 12.

LadyInRedQuilt

She’s come a long way since you’ve last seen her! As a matter of fact, she’s come a long way since Sunday. I was on week 2, well behind the QAL. I don’t know why or how I got such a head full of steam, but I’ve been determined to catch up with the rest of the group. Only one block to go and I’ve done it. Of course, there will be a new block on Thursday making me one behind again. I’m getting completely caught up over the weekend though – even if it kills me.

Do you love her and want to make her too? This pattern is part of Janeen Van Niekerk’s Art Quilt Quilt along, Girl in the Wind. You can join up now and get all the blocks published up to this point.

BOM @ QADesigns

Time Check-In

I tend to way over commit myself because I’m not so good at estimating how long something will take. With this project I’m keeping a semi-watchful eye on hours spent and keeping a running tally. Hopefully I’ll learn something!

Thinking about/reviewing pattern and instructions: 1.5 hours
Searching for and settling on fabrics: 2 hours
Pattern prep/piecing first section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing second section: 2.5 hours
Pattern prep/piecing third/fourth sections: 6 hours
Pattern prep/piecing fifth section: 3 hours
Pattern prep/piecing sixth section: 2.5 hours

Total Time Investment: 20 hours

Your thoughts?

So what do you think? Do you like the red? How about the green? Sometimes I walk by and love it. Sometimes I walk by and just about fall apart over it. I have lots of quilting and embellishment plans. Maybe I’ll love it when it has some more going on? hmmmm….

Do you think she needs a name? I keep thinking I should stop calling her lady and give her an actual name, but it seems forced and forced is never good huh? Maybe I’ll just call her Lady. Good enough for Kenny Rogers and Chris DeBurgh – good enough for me!

Want more?

Check out Lady in Red’s index that aggregates all of the posts about her.

Link Parties:
WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced
Let’s Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts

1. This is going to be so incredible when it’s finished… I’m loving all the fabrics you’ve chosen. Such richness!

PS – you totally need an archive button/menu for ardent fans of your work who fall off the blog wagon for half a year at a time. 🙂

• Thank you! She’s really starting to grow on me. I’m only two blocks behind now with a total of four to go. Looking forward to her having a face! 🙂

All of the new projects are listed first on their “category” pages (new quilts under fiber, new sculptures under Project Galore, etc). You’re right though, the regular blog feed only displays 10 or so posts. I’ll have to see if I can work something out next time I’m tinkering with the web dev stuff.

I totally get it being away – so many things to do IRL, right? Come by and say hi anytime you have a minute, I’ll always be glad to see you! 🙂

2. This is looking good, Susan. I laughed at that one commenter’s observation that she loves what you are doing but doesn’t want to do it herself. I love the tangle of the hair and constant motion. You’ll learn a lot by the time you are finished!

What I really loved was the chart of how much time everything took. You are so wise to create that. Someone asked me last night how long Lollypop Trees took to make and I had to think about it. Wish I’d had your chart!

• Thank you muches! Janeen made quite an interesting pattern. There’s a ton of pieces, but it is a fairly straight forward paper piecing project. I’ve no less than 100 ideas on how to handle the finishing/quilting. I’ve really got to reel that in and figure it out. Wont be long!

Yeah, the time thing is scary isn’t it? I find that I really don’t give these projects enough credit for the time suck they really are. I don’t mind giving the time, but I find I seriously underestimate the amount of time it will take to finish something or how much effort I put into something I finished. I think both of those are important things to consider, so I’m going to try to do better with new projects going forward. I just hope I don’t end up trying to race myself, that will just hurt my work.

3. Beautiful work Susan and it is interesting to see your times. It seems to take me quite a while to PP. I really love the red in the hair!

• I’m a little on the slow side with it too. I’m not really set up perfectly for it, I bet I have 20 – 30 seconds of overhead on every pieces just moving around between the machine, ironing board, and cutting table. I enjoy it none the less. 🙂

4. Goodness! You are so very creative and hard working too! Love it! That time schedule/budget looks so organized…..oh, wait, I’m supposed to be quilting too….. 😉

• Thanks Amy!

That schedule is very much after the fact. I’ve intended to block 8 all week. Still haven’t touched it. I just do what I can and try not to panic when things don’t get finished as fast as I want them to!

5. OH wow. I love her, but I don’t want to make her, too. I’m just going to live vicariously through you and all your seriously intense projects. She’s gorgeous!

• haha, yeah, I always over do it eh? I’d like to tell you that one day I’ll learn, but that’s just unlikely. hahaha!

6. Once again, your talent never ceases to amaze me! Can’t wait to see more 🙂

• Thanks Christine! Your so awesome to say so. 🙂

7. I LOVEEEE this Susan! Lady is just fine and the green is a nice contrast. Be proud cuz this is amazing.

• Awww! Paula!! Thank you! 🙂

I’m already not as finished as I wanted to be by the weekend, but tomorrow is another day.

• It really is cool isnt it? Janeen did a bang up job with this one. So far everything is fitting together perfectly too. 🙂

8. She looks fantastic so far!! I like the green, that shade is working very well with all the shades of her hair. I think once you have a little more done, you will like her more 🙂

• One more block done! I was distracted by another project and not quite able to finish up this week’s block. There’s always tomorrow right?