Lady In Red: Fabric Selection

Lady In Red: Fabric Selection

The Horde subscribers may remember a few weeks ago when I featured Janeen of Quilt Art Desings upcoming Quilt-a-long, Girl in the Wind. I was teetering on giving this one a whirl and with a little push (I’m looking at you Linda!), I decided to give it a shot! Here is my first completed block:

LadyInRedQAL04I typically avoid QAL’s. I’m a project bouncer. From one project to the next constantly dealing with this interruption (stupid fake flu!) and that interruption (why do I have to eat?) I already know right up front that I will be behind by week three because of other commitments. I’m not worried about it though. Just because a piece is mailed to me doesn’t mean I have to do it right then. Besides, it will give me a chance to peek at what everyone else is doing first!

If you’re interested in making one yourself, hop on over to Janeen’s and join up. I’d love to see what you do too!

BOM @ QADesigns

You know I love process and love to share with you what I was thinking when I made one decision or another. I’ll be checking in with this one from time to time with various thoughts on the project, pattern, or process. For this first block, I thought I’d tell you how I picked the fabrics.

Believe it or not – serendipity. Oh how I love serendipity. I was in a local quilt show, Cary Quilting Company and I spotted a sample quilt for a kit hanging on the wall. (The kit is pretty sweet too – if you like it, be sure to take a look at the link. It’s a great collection of a ton of varied batiks).

SticksQuiltThere were large sections of reddish/orange/brown and I responded to it immediately. It’s funny – in all my thinking about how I was going to manage my red headed lady, I never once considered batiks. Roberta helped me find the six that were lined up in what will no be known as the “hair section”.  I didn’t know exactly what I needed, so I grabbed 1/2 yard of each.

LadyInRedQAL03When I got home them, I washed them, laid them out and walked past them for a few days. I finally decided that I didn’t love the orange and while the wheat one had a nice brown tone too it, too much of it was purple and green.  Take a look at this section of it:

LadyInRedQAL02Well now I had a problem. What to do about the range of colors. I went digging through my stash and after coming up for air, I found I had a few options that weren’t batik. When I lined them all up, I liked the way the patterns toned down the richness of the batiks and created even more interest. I added a few solids as companion colors and ended up with this pallet.

LadyInRedQAL01Now it is starting to look like a red head! To keep myself straight, I went ahead and made a fabric card assigning the fabrics to their pattern number. A glue stick right to the paper that has the master chart was all it took. You’ll notice I’ve labeled some numbers with a “A”. Those are the colors that have added an alternate so I can choose from two fabrics when I get to a section that uses it. So far, that choice has been more visceral than thoughtful, hope it works out for me!

LadyInRedQAL

Time Ticker!

As a general rule, I suck at estimating how long something will take. I suspect it is because I don’t do a very god job of keep up with how long things before it took! I’m challenging myself to keep a close eye on time with this project and really figure out exactly what went into to it. Here’s the totals so far:

Thinking about/reviewing pattern and instructions: 1.5 hours
Searching for and settling on fabrics: 2 hours
Pattern prep/piecing first section: 2.5 hours

Running Total: 6 hours.

(ACK! maybe I don’t want to know!)

There’s a bunch of great QAL’s out there. I’m loving Michelle, Kristal and Daisy’s Gypsy Wife and Sassy Quilter’s Triangles. What QAL’s have you joined?

Want More?

Check Lady in Red’s Index of posts!

1. I’ve done the math on quilt-making. This is an art and it shows in the finished product. I look it at as my entertainment and my therapy. If therapy is $200/hour, I am definitely getting my money’s worth.

The quilt along looks amazing. I’ve seen links to this one around, and keep thinking I should check it out. I just have so many other things going on. I may have to sit back and armchair this one. Thank you for stepping out there and taking one for the team. Vicarious quilting is almost as good as quilting.

• lol, cheap therapy! love it!

I so understand what you mean. There are no less than four QAL’s I’d love to do, but just can’t. I’m watching them with green-eyed envy though!

2. oohhh I love your color selections, it is going to be awesome!!!

• Thanks Shauna! I’m a little wishy washy on one of them, but I have faith that it will all work out when it one big piece rather than just the block. If it doesn’t, it will be close enough. ha!!

3. Okay, I’m weak! I ordered the Gypsy Wife pattern booklet……….

• ha! awesome! I love it and can’t wait to see!

4. So anxious to see the progress on this one. I love the fabrics and colors you’ve used here. Looking forward to your pics!

• Me too Daphne! I’ve have some crazy thoughts on how I would like to finish it, but without it being pieced, I’m not allowing myself to think TOO much about it. It’s hard though! lol!

• As creative as you are, I know it will be incredible. I’m thinking of getting the pattern even thought I can’t do the Quilt-A-Long right now. I love her pattern.

• Oh you should! I’d love to see what you do with it!! 🙂

5. I have batiks for you!!! I can NOT wait to give them to you. It’s going to make my heart sing to know that they’ll be put to good use instead of being neglected in my stash. But I will, in fact, wait to give them to you because there is a stomach bug running through our house. I love the design you’re working on – excited to see your lady come together!

• What?? lol! This is only the second time I’ve ever tried to use them. I’m trying to pay attention to how they cut and move because one of these years, I’m planning on a stained glass quilt and I’m pretty sure batiks would really work for that.

yes – keep your bug. I’m so tired of being ill! This one is weird, everyone in the house is fine, except me. I’m very happy they didn’t get it – but I have to wonder…. how did I get this sick twice since Jan 1 all by myself. I’m starting to think it is a conspiracy! hahahaha!

6. That is going to be an awesome quilt. Keeping track of your time will be an interesting exercise. I’ve done it a couple of times. It’s good to know!

• I think so too! Just have to remember to do it….. lol!

7. That quilt is going to be amazing! I love your red head fabric choices. I think however long I estimate a quilt to take I should just double it, something always happens to make it take twice as long.

• You’re a good estimator!! I was off by about 9 hours on the Nevermore quilt. Let me tell you how much fun that was Saturday morning at 1am with sore shoulders and nary an ability to bend my fingers anymore! Maybe I should go with your plan, but I’m so bad at estimating – x4!

8. I don’t want to know how long my quilts take! I think it would scare me off. Your lady in red will be amazing

• Right?? I’m a bit scared too. I think I want to know – so I can cry over it.hahaha!

9. That is a beautiful pattern and I LOVE your color and print selection for the hair. Beautiful! I will be waiting to see the next piece.
    About time – I don’t bother keeping track anymore, it takes however long it takes as long as I am happy at the end. Better for my sanity 🙂

• I’m seriously just trying to stop over committing. There’s just so many awesome things I want to do and participate in that I get overwhelmed with myself. I’m hoping to learn to be a bit more real about time estimates so I’m not always burning the midnight oil right before a “deadline”. We’ll see, I do love to stay busy. 🙂

10. It’s looking good, Susan! I have ordered some fabric in grey and cream colors(mine is going to be the Grey Haired Woman). It shipped today, so I should be able to start in a few days. I was drooling over The Gypsy Wife last night! I’m still pondering purchasing the pattern booklet, but haven’t decided yet. I have the whole shebang for Tula Pink’s Butterfly quilt, and haven’t started it yet…..sigh.

• lol, soul sisters! I so can’t wait to see yours (peer pressure!) I’ve enjoyed watching the Gypsy Wife blocks singing through their Flickr group. All of those are going to be so interesting and unique. Can’t wait to see the results.

11. haha your time ticker is so right–maybe I don’t want to know! I love where you are going with this, it looks like such a great QAL!

• Thanks Renee! I’m really going to have to edit myself. I just want to put the whole drawer of embellishments I have on her. She kind of screams beadwork doesn’t she? I should probably finish piecing then worry about going overboard. 🙂

12. That is a brilliant design, Janeen came up with! Looking forward to seeing your progress with this. Love your fabric selections. Thanks, as always, for sharing your process. Yes, sometimes it is best not to know how much time we invest in these projects!

• It is isn’t it?? She’s really talented. The pattern is a little scary when I first opened it, but I figured – just put one foot in front of the other and it will come together.

13. She is going to be beautiful! I love your colour palette and cannot wait to see her come together. I’ve also been meaning to start keeping track of the time I put into my projects, but I am usually all done the cutting when I remember to turn the timer on! 🙂

• Me too! I’m not keeping TOO close an eye on the clock, just a general idea. I find myself so over committed that I’m trying to learn exactly what is realistic. We’ll see – I’ll probably forget to do it next time. hahahaha!

14. Susan your post here gave me a couple of giggles. I think like you I just don’t share it all. The stupid fake flu! that is a good one. Anyways your start on the hair is wonderful and done perfectly. I hadn’t realized this was a QAL. I had seen Janeen’s Girl in the Wind! She is an expert in designing some very detailed paper piecing. I can’t wait to see the finished project if there aren’t too many distractions along the way. 🙂 Thanks for visiting my blog!

• heh, I don’t share it all either – then you’d know just how wonky this brain of mine is! That’s scary right??

I’m looking forward to this one too, but wouldn’t you know it, I just added a new distraction! It’s a good one though. If it works out I’ll be telling you all about it soon. 🙂

15. Love your fabric selection. I’ve never done paper piecing but this quilt is beautiful. I’m sure the paper piecing would be a good skill to have up my sleve.

To track my time I’ve started using Toggl. It’s an easy to use free program (unless you sign up for the Pro version).

• I am a very unorganised sewist. I love so many projects that I want to do everything, therefore have a lot of things on the go at one time. In an endeavour to become more organised, I am doing a fairly easy quilt along with Pat Sloan. Not the difficult one, the easier version, the Aurifil BOM. I love Janeens paper piecing and have also printed off the first two of her trees blocks. Gosh I hope to get a start on these too at some time in the future

• heh, me too! I also have little piles of projects I’ve squirreled together the supplies for, but haven’t actually started! I really need about six solid months of being stuck in my workspace without looking at anything else that might inspire me!

I haven’t seen Pat’s, I’ll have to check it out!

• Paper piecing is fun! You can get shapes and lines you’d never see with regular piecing. It does start to get a bit tedious so I don’t do it often. Just every once and a while to keep things interesting. 🙂

Thanks for the time keeping tip, I’ll check it out!