Approved by Number 5, Futurama Quilt: The Morbo label

Approved by Number 5, Futurama Quilt: The Morbo label

MorboThreadPaintingOne thing I suck at is putting labels on my quilts. By the time I get to the label, I’m so tired of that quilt I just want to BE DONE. The allure of “I can add a label anytime” grows stronger and stronger. Before I know it, a year has passed, then two. In an effort to correct that, I’m trying to add the label step as part of piecing the back. I figure if I do it when I’m still excited about the project and have enough work to do with the quilting and the binding that I’m not near the finish line, I’ll actually think about it and put some effort into it.

Since I’m out of room for applique panels, I thought the label would be the perfect place to give the  Morbo DVD cover a try. I probably could have made him out of tiny little pieces of fabric (I still think it might be fun to try that), but I love to make thread painted patches. Because I thought it would be more fun-ner, I went with thread. You can see all the details on the process of making one of these in my Beginner Thread Painting Tutorial from a few months back. The process is exactly the same with a few more colors and hoop move to get all of his parts in. Here he is along the way: MorboThreadPainting2

I used the background color of the DVD cover for the label color, kona silver. I thought about a lot of ways to write out the words on the label, even tried a few. In the end, I settled on the label to being handwritten. Yes, it is a bit messy. No, it doesn’t look very professional. The thing is – it isn’t professional, it’s personal. The quilt is ultimately a gift from me to a very dear friend. While it may be true that the quilt will be the only one exactly like it in the whole world, I still wanted to put something on it that was specifically me. What’s more personal than my own messy handwriting?

MorboThreadPainting3We’re getting there! Next week is the Futurama Logo and followed by the big reveal! I just can’t wait to show it to you!

Morbo is getting linked up with some of my favorite bloggers! Be sure to check the party links on the side bar!

Wanna know everything there is to know about this project? Check out this handy index!

1. A complicated face with thread painting!! Wow!! Simply unbelievable Susan!! I love hand written labels 🙂

• Thanks Soma! I’m glad you like him. 🙂

My next trick is to try some painter’s color mixing techniques with thread. It’s been a while since I took a painting class. I may try a Craftsy one before too long.

2. Can’t wait for the big reveal! 🙂

• Me either!!

Thanks for stopping by!

3. You just outdo yourself every time. This is the coolest label ever! The stitch texture really suits this character.

• Thanks Rachael! I love the tread painting trick. One day I’m going to have enough threads stockpiled in different colors to go hog wild with it!

4. I hate making labels, too, so I usually thread stitch information on the border. But this is so, so cute! I like your plan to make the label as you work on the back. Good idea!

• Thanks Ann! One of these days I’ll figure myself out. Hopefully my plan works! I have two quilts that are almost finished that I didnt do a label in the middle. I will put a label on them, I will put a label on them, I will put a label on them.

5. Your label is awesome! My labels are always handwritten, though nowhere near as fancy as that. I can’t wait to see the big reveal.

• aw, thanks!! It is a bit over the top, but I had to get Morbo in there somewhere. 🙂

6. Label is awesome! You make me wonder about a couple quilts I failed to label. I’m getting better, really. This quilt is going to be awesome!

• Thanks Becca! I love the Kaffe Fassett prints in your new quilt! I have a few myself that will show up soon. 🙂

Put a label on that one! You want your name there for sure!

7. I love that you say it isn’t professional its personal! I know we all strive for perfection and beat ourselves up about it, but as my grandma said…if it looks too good it could have been store-bought! I read that the amish leave a mistake as a representation that only God is perfect…not that I would have to go out of my way to do that:) I love every cut off point and crooked stitch on my Grandma Sassy’s quilts!

• You know – Lots of sculptures have artist keys on the. Some hidden item or signature of the artist that made it. I’ve decided that since I manage to make one major faux pas on everything I make, it is just going to be my key. I’ve started a little list of the imperfections. Now between the dog hair that gets caught in the batting and my artist key list – I can never be copied! hahahaha!

8. Oh dear ,, cannot wait to see all of it .. LOVE it .. Thanks for sharing !!

• I think you’ll like it! I’ve had the most fun making it and sharing it. I hope everyone loves it as much as I do. Won’t be long and the back will be all showed off. Sadly, the front is still a big pile of fabric in the box. Maybe by April or May I’ll have a whole quilt. 🙂

9. I’m terrible at labeling quilts too. I do tend to photograph most of them though so at least there is that! 🙂

• heh, I so understand! I don’t know why it is such an afterthought for me. I keep thinking I’ll get some of those little labels that you sew in the binding. I’d like to say t I’ll do that, but would probably forget that too. 🙂

• Thanks so much Helen! I’m having so much fun with it. 🙂 Can’t wait to show it off. So very soon!

10. Whoop whoop! A label means it is ( almost ) finished! I loved this journey with you on this epic quilt!
    Esther

• Man, I wish that was true. I did the label right smack in the middle of this project. I suppose I’ve done nothing in order this time! Who in the world starts with the back of a quilt!!

11. Looks awesome! I almost always just go with hand written. What type of pen did you use? I alternate between a fine tip sharpie and a Pentel gel roller for fabric, but I’d love to find something that doesn’t bleed at all.

• It’s just a plain on sharpie. I have a Copic I want to try, but it is a light brown. I used it for an embroidery project way back when and it didnt really show up much. I wonder if another color would work better?

12. Wow, fantastic label! I can-not wait to see your quilt when it is done. It’s going to be awesome!!

• Thanks!! I can’t wait to see it finished either! I have three others that are getting entered in a quilt show and aren’t ready. I only have until next week, so the front of Futurama is going to be on hold for a few weeks while I take care of those things. Its ok, I’ll get there eventually right? 🙂

13. Wow! I saw the pictures and thought that you just had one of those fancy machines that embroiders. This quilt is full of stuff that I have to try out.

• Nope! Just a zig zag stitch, tulle, and stabilizer. The thread painting is really one of my favorite things to do. Once you get the hang of it, it’s like coloring with thread! It will never look like the machine ones do (all flat and perfect), but that’s totally ok with me. There’s nothing flat and perfect around here!

14. This is a crazy cool label! I love that you handwrote on it. Makes it very personal and special.

• Thanks Izzy! I feel better about it already! 🙂