The Sunday Geekery is brought to you by the letter ‘F’

The Sunday Geekery is brought to you by the letter ‘F’

For years I have threatened to watch as many movies as I could from AFI’s top 100. Since the release of our favorite local film critic’s alphabet of all times greats I’ve decided to make it happen! For each letter, I will watch Mark Burger’s pick, an AFI pick, and my own pick.

Mark Burger’s F: French Connection

FrenchConnectionI think this is another case of a film style I don’t have enough of an appreciation for. I’m not the biggest fan of cops & robbers type films. I see why this one was a big deal for its time, but I just couldn’t get into it. I think it took me about six tries to stay awake and when I did, I couldn’t keep all of the characters straight. Thank goodness for wiki-watching, I needed help! I can’t in good faith recommend this one or even describe exactly what it was about. If you like cops and robbers and dig a time when there were no cell phones, you might dig this one! 🙂

One fun thing was watching Gene Hackman. I swear, if it weren’t for his voice, I wouldn’t believe it was him. Such a baby in this film!

AFI’s F: Frankenstein (1931)

FrankensteinWatching this movie proved one thing and one thing only to me – I’m completely and totally broken. I was heartbroken for Frankenstein’s monster. It seems so unfair. He was created by a megalomaniacal doctor with an axe to grind then kept in a dungeon and tortured by Fritz. All the while, the great doctor is living it up with his fiancee and fat cat father-in-law. The deep dark secret safely in the dungeon.

When they decide to do a live autopsy on the monster, is it no wonder he goes a little bonkers? I was so sad when the mob burned him alive and angry that Frankenstien himself served no penance for his role in the whole mess. I guess a movie that draws emotion, even if it is the “wrong” one, is a good film. I’ll give it a B+.

Suedre’s Pick: A Few Good Men

FewGoodMenWhat a hard letter! I re-watched three movies for this spot, A Few Good Men, Frailty, and Final Destination. I didn’t like Frailty as much this time so it was easy to bump off the list. Final Destination was a little harder! When it was new, it’s style of horror was new too. It’s a scary, yet cheeky movie and I still am not positive it doesn’t belong here.

I ended up picking a Few Good Men because of the way it grabs my attention. I’ve seen this movie no less than 20 times. If it shows up, I watch it again.  Right from the first scene with the gun routine all the way to Jessup’s “You can’t handle the the truth” moment, this movie delivers. It reveals itself in way that I connect with and tells a story I believe. Besides, this is my go to film for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, that’s worth consideration, right?

Wanna see the rest of the alphabet? A ~ B ~ C ~ D ~ E ~…..

What would you put on your F list?

1. Frankenstein is so sad. I think my all time favourite F would be Ferris Bueller, I love the innocence of that movie 🙂

• I think I quote Ferris Bueller at least once a week. That movie really is fun isn’t it? Almost as much fun as Better Off Dead, lol!

2. The Fifth Element… by far my favorite movie of all time!

• Looks like some others enjoy The Fifth Element as much as I do! Wohoo!

• lol, that does seem to be true! I haven’t seen it in ever. I should re-watch it!

3. Your alphabet movie thing is great! I didn’t get The French Connection either or Reds, or Three Days of the Condor. I’m with you on A Few Good Men. I read the book, “Frankenstein” and it was heartbreaking. I always feel sorry for the monster. Try the book, it is much different from the movies.
    My F movie pick is Fifth Element. I could watch this one a hundred times. I love every character. I love to see how people think the future is. At least this one wasn’t apocalyptic, which seems to be a very current theme in books and movies. But this was believable and someplace I wouldn’t want to live. Except for flying cars!

• I’ve threatened to read Frankenstein for years and have not done. I should. I’ll put it on my official list of things I’m going to do when I win the lottery and have all the time in the world. 🙂

Fifth Element is a funny movie – people are so polarized on it. It is all in love or all out hate! I’m a love leaner. Can’t quite say it is my favorite ever, but I do dig it! 🙂

4. I recently watched “Front of the Class” for the 1st time and it’s a great movie. It’s a heartwarming movie based on a true story.

• I had not heard of that one! I looked it up and it does look like something I would enjoy. I’ll have to take a peek at it!

5. The movies that come to mind would be “The Fifth Element,” “A Fish Called Wanda,” and “Fantasia.”

• oooh Fantasia! We saw Fantasia 2000 in Orlando at IMAX before IMAX was everywhere. I may or may not have cried a bit through that one.

6. Good choice in a few good men…a couple of my favorites would also be Face/off, Ferris Bueller’s Day off, Fifth Element, and Field of Dreams

• Forgot one…Flash gordon

• Yes! Yes! Yes! and maybe, lol! That’s a good list for sure. I haven’t seen Face/off in ages. Should rent that one. 🙂

7. I hate to admit it but Fightclub is right up there in my list of top movies. Even having read the book and knowing the ending, I was still drawn in with the movie. Plus there is Edward Norton.

• That is a good one! I haven’t seen it in a while and was just thinking I needed to revisit it again. You may have inspired me to do so!

8. Hmmm… The letter F.. Maybe Futurama’ movies? jK 🙂 I haven’t seen The French Connection, but my husband raves about it. Isn’t it supposed to be like The Italian Job? do you like musicals at all? Might have research movies. Kate

• I *DO* like musicals! Mom and I Like to see them live too. We usually catch one or two a year. We’re hoping to see Book of Mormon this year.

9. I love Boris Karloff films!! But I agree Frankenstein is really sad. I haven’t seen the other two.

• Oh good! I thought maybe I was totally nutso. It seemed like I was supposed to be relieved and happy at the end and I just wasn’t!