Noooo Parker Brothers! Not the iron!

Noooo Parker Brothers! Not the iron!

monopolyironEarlier this year, Parker Brothers decided to retire one of Monopoly’s game tokens. The token that got booted by popular vote? THE IRON! The announcement was seriously like a dagger to my heart (wait, that’s Clue). The iron and the wheelbarrow are my tokens, man! What kind of world do we live in that doesn’t have an iron in a Monopoly set?

Those that have been around a while know that sometimes the little devil in me starts thinking and that is always trouble. Why am I letting Parker Brothers decide my board gaming fate? I’m creative there’s no reason I can’t have any object I want for a game token. But wait – why limit myself or my family? We can all have custom game tokens!

That begins my first ever Creative Paperclay® Modeling Material Design Team member project – Custom game pawns. This project is most excellent for all skill levels and ages and is a darn good way to spend time together over Thanksgiving. After you make them, you can play with them or save them for Christmas when everyone is back to together again.  Stop by the Creative Paperclay® Modeling Material blog to see supply list, instructions, tips, ideas and all of the test pawns Emily and I made. We really had a ball and had somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 ideas for other little pawns we could make.

Pennybags

Linking in with Really Random Thursday @Live a Colorful Life

1. I’m shocked that they’re replacing the iron – don’t they quilt!!! I was mostly the boot but sometimes the dog if I ever won the fight for it 😀 It’s a great idea to make your own game pieces 🙂

• lol! I probably would be the dog too – until I realized that everyone else wanted the dog. The contrarian in me just wont let that happen!

• Thanks muches Diane! We had lot of fun with it and may make some more!

2. I had some very traumatic experiences playing monopoly and to this day I REFUSE to play it but the little game tokens were always so much fun! My dad was always the top hat and my mom was the iron. So sad that it got the axe.

• whoa! There must have been some serious property fights! Funny how we all have ‘tokens’ isn’t it? I was the dog for a few years, but gave it up for a friend who loved it more than me. 🙂

3. No way!! They removed the iron? I am glad I still have my set from high school days intact. The shoe has been my token forever. And again No WAY!! You can make your own token. How awesome is that. Thanks again, Susan!!

• It’s just downright wrong! I realized last night that I don’t have a Monopoly set anymore. I have no idea what happened to it. Now I can’t get a new one – no iron!

4. The iron was always my token too! I love your idea for making them, I just might have to get the kids going on those too!

• It’s the bomb right? Clearly the best token they had. Who wants to be a dirty old shoe? 🙂

If they do try it – I’ve love to see. Nothing makes me happier than other people’s creativity!

5. What a cute idea! I’ll have to try that sometime soon. And, even though I’m sure the kitty will be adorable, why did they take away the iron!?!

• America voted down the iron! Can you believe it? The thimble wasn’t even close. Who plays thimble over iron. 🙂

6. Just popped back from Creative Paperclay, awesome tute Susan!
    Can’t wait for my little guys to get a bit bigger to give it a try!

• Thanks!! I’m so glad you like it. I was surprised at how much fun we had with it. She told me yesterday she wants to replace the “boring” pieces in Sorry! with some doughnuts. I like the way she thinks!

7. Why are they taking away one of the pieces? Surely it doesn’t cost that much more to put a teeny plastic piece in? Is it just a marketing ploy? I’ll be taking extra care of my little iron.

• It is pure evil right? They did an America vote thing – the iron was ousted and replaced with a kitty cat. Normally, I’m not resistant to change, but this one hurt a little! 🙂