Dizzy Dresdens – The Pieces are Done, Man!

Dizzy Dresdens – The Pieces are Done, Man!

Congratulations to me! I now have a quilt top for Dizzy Dresdens!

DizzyDresdens

When we left Dizzy Dresdens, it was the four striped dresdens in the center. I added a small circle applique in the center of the four green blocks. The corners are large triangles of white fabric with 1/2 chevron dresdens tucked in the corners.

I started to make quarter chevron dresdens to save time/fabric but soon realized that I needed a full half to complete the effect. Here it is before applique.

WP_20130602_007

And here it is getting cut to size. I know – it looks like I’ve lost my mind, but check it out when I turn it over to cut it.

WP_20130602_005

I don’t lose a single complete point. If I had only done a quarter dresden, it would not have fanned all the way to the edges creating a very different effect.

I finished this up late and was determined to get the back ready. I really like plain quilt backs that make the quilting work pop. This quilt is 60×60 so I would have to use a piece of WAY too wide fabric or put two 44″ together which would create a seam right down the back that I really don’t want. I decided that I had enough of the stripe fabric left to do something a little interesting. I set off to calculating –

DizzyDresdens

Then started sewing…

WP_20130602_008

UGH! Remember what I said about forcing it late at night?? Backwards! dang. Alright, seam ripping at midnight to try again and ended up with this.

DizzyDresdens1

I’m really happy with the way this is coming together. It is taking FORever, but I think it is pretty darn cool!

I’m still a bit distracted with the technical side of switching platforms from Blogger to WordPress. My crafting has slowed down significantly! I’m going to keep working at it and will share a few tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way. If you follow me on bloglovin, be sure to check your feed and make sure you’re following the active one: http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/9760557.

Bonus – Do you know what movie the title of this post references?

Want to see everything Dizzy Dresdens? Here’s a handy index!

1. Love this quilt! Your use of the chevrons and stripes is genius! Great job 🙂

• Thank you Karen! I’m happy you like it. 🙂

2. The title of your quilt is so fitting! I love the dresdens 🙂

I’m thinking up a quilt for fall with Dresden and I know a lot of people had problems with the plates laying flat. Did you also share this struggle?

• I did have some trouble! I figured out how to fix it though – a little bit of lightweight embroidery stabilizer made all the difference in the world. I have a post that shows the bunching around the dresdens that didnt have the stabilizer vs those that did:

Another thing I noticed – if the seam allowance is off, the dreden will still make a circle but will create a little “fold over” down the side of the pointed piece when pressed. Easy Peasy fix though, I just adjusted the seam allowance where I saw the folds before I appliqued them down.

3. Dropped by from N&T Thursday. Your quilt looks great and I love the four corners – you’re so right that it wouldn’t have looked so good with quarter Dresdens there – this way they’re popping at you. Oh and it’s a pattern by Victoria, we’re in the same Quilt Guild 🙂

4. Really nice……front and back!

5. This one just keeps blowing my away! Fantastic work Susan, can’t wait to see it all quilted up!!

• Thank you! I’m looking forward to it too. 🙂

6. Wow! Susan, this looks fabulous. I thought the center was the whole quilt. I have to say those corner pieces really make it stunning! The back is awesome too. Can’t wait to see how you quilt it.

• Why thank you! I agree, the white is really what makes it. I think the binding is going to be my favorite part on this one. If I could just get to work and get that quilting done!

7. The result is amazing! You must have been very patient.

8. Wow!! I love your Dresden project!
    I just made 4 Dresden blocks and I don’t have enough of the matching background fabric to make more blocks. I love your idea of putting them on point (didn’t think of that) and adding 4 more corners. Mind if I steal it? 😉

• Oh please do! I’ve love to see it too. I keep my on QTquilters, if I miss it and you think about it, ping me! 🙂