Dizzy Dresdens: The first cut is the deepest

Dizzy Dresdens: The first cut is the deepest

Yeah, its a little bit of a melodramatic title, but it seems like the blog-o-sphere is titling itself in song lyrics. I didn’t want to be left out so I titled a post about colors and rainbows with a sad song. Hm. I might have messed up the game. Nah, I’ll call it an artistic expression. If I were high art – I could use a phrase like juxtaposition of great sadness with childlike blissfulness. Probably a good thing I’m not high art!

Anyway, I finally started on Dizzy Dresdens by actually cutting some fabric! The magazine the pattern came from had a pull out pattern section so I took it to a copier and made about 20 copies of the template. I’m a little bit lazy and don’t like to hand cut things like this so I keep an old rotary blade marked with a sharpie ‘P’.

DizzyDresdens2 (5)

I find it cuts through paper just fine and is more accurate than scissors. I cut so many templates for two reasons; I can layout several at once and when I accidentally cut into one I can just toss it.

DizzyDresdens2 (6)

I know this is a bit different than traditional methods to cutting around templates, but it works for me and I’m all about works for me. Here’s the first set all laid out for fussy cutting.

DizzyDresdens2 (2)

The next step is to sew across the tops of each of the shapes so it can be folded over into points. By this time, I had also cut some purple shapes out to complete one full dresden.

DizzyDresdens2 (1)

Since I’ve not done a dresden before, I laid them out to get an idea of how they were going to come together. Thankfully, the instructions suggested completing quarters then putting the quarters together. It is so obvious now, but I’m positive I would have just started stringing them together and run into all sorts of trouble without that little tip.

DizzyDresdens2 (8)

A little bit of sewing and a little bit of pressing leads to a whole dresden. Here she is sitting on some of the green fabric that will eventually be the background.

DizzyDresdens2 (4)

On to the Orange!

DizzyDresdens2 (3)

Damn, on to the seam ripper!

Stay tuned to see all the Dresdens come together. If you’d like, you can check out all the posts related to this quilt in the handy Dizzy Dresdens Index.

• I bet you do! 🙂 It is Michael Miller and I’m pretty sure it is still available. The collection is aptly named “stripes” 😀

• Hey Stephanie! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll come back and see the whole quilt, it is starting to look pretty good!

Checked out your blog. Cool stuff! I’ll add you to my feeds. 🙂

1. Way cool. It’s going to be an awesome quilt. When I started quilting, I bought a “book pattern” for Dresdens that came along with it. I’m glad you said it wasn’t scary! Very encouraging. Perhaps there IS a Dresden quilt or wallhanging in my future!

• Oh! I hope so! I’m really digging them. It isnt that bad at all. I have a few more beginner tips from a beginner coming up next week. Maybe it will help fuel the fire! 🙂

2. love, love, love the dresdens! any you make it look so easy! can’t wait to see all of them come together!

Thanks so much for linking up at Needle and Thread Thursday!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

• by the way, I’m following on Bloglovin.’ I don’t see a Bloglovin button here, but I have added you to my feed there.

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

• Yay! So glad to have you. I had thought the little blue and white + symbol was a common bloglovin one, but it seems like maybe not. You’re the second person that has mentioned I dont have one. 🙂 I surely put one of the big ones on in the next little bit.

Thanks for the link up! 🙂

3. Those are incredible. All those perfect stripes! This might be the post that gets me inspired to make dresdens – thank you!

• WOot! That would make my day! The quilt is coming right along, I’m pretty pleased with it so far and looking forward to sharing more. 🙂

4. That’s sooo FAB! Those colours on the green background are going to look amazing 🙂 It’s so exciting getting going on a new project isn’t it! Love the new header too – a splash of colour always brings a smile.

• Thanks Stephie! Yes, it is fun to get started! This blog is a WIP for sure. Lots of changes coming and going in the near future. I’ll eventually figure out what it is I want to do with it, or not. 🙂

5. And why haven’t I ever just written on my ‘paper blade’ before instead of using a post it note or something equally useless when actually using the blade? You’re a smart cookie!

You said:”I know this is a bit different than traditional methods to cutting around templates, but it works for me and I’m all about works for me.” That’s right! So much of the creative process, whether quilting or something else, is about finding what works for yourself! Always makes me nervous when teaching, since what works for me might not work for someone else!

• lol Amy, I’m not that smart I just love a sharpie! 🙂 I tell you, its the little things like that I pick up traveling around these blogs and going to bees that really make my day so I’m over the moon it helped you!

I’d like to teach one day for sure. I think it is one of superpowers at my job now. Maybe one day. I’ll surely keep up with you and learn as much as you’re willing to impart! 🙂

6. Love your colourful dresdens!

• Hey Kirsten, good to see you thanks for stopping by!

7. Wonderful job!! Loving that stripy fabric print with the purple. I can’t wait to see the orange!!

• If you happen to be around the R – stop by. Might be able to sneak peek for you! 🙂